HELP!!! Didn't save settings after format,

blueblue 20:03 05 Oct 04

Hello, i'm new to the forum and a novice when it comes to my PC. Idecided to format my hard drive
and reinstall my xp home, but i did not save any settings before format. my pc says i dont have a modem and i cant get on line to download. Ihave had error num-692 and 797 and with multimedia audio controller and pci simple communication controller thers a question mark and code 28.

would a new format and reinstall solve the problem?, phoned my isp and they can't help and phoned microsoft and they can't help, although don't know why its genuine windows, at the moment i'm using an old borrowed pc.
any help or advice would be much appreciated

many thanks

blueblue

Diodorus Siculus 20:09 05 Oct 04

Look at your modem and see if it has any identifying marks on it and if so do a google search for its drivers. They should be easy to track down.

That is the pci simple communication controller - a modem. It jsut needs drivers.

What aobut your sound card? Is it a PCI card on "onboard"? If the former, get drivers from the manufacturer. If the latter, your motherboard CD should have drivers - if not, the manufacturer will have some.

Diodorus Siculus 20:10 05 Oct 04

PS if you can ID your components, post them here and we can point you to drivers.

After this, you will not consider yourself a novice!

Dorsai 20:18 05 Oct 04

The first thing to get going is your modem. As once this is working, and you are online, you can do an online scan, from the likes of belarc advisor, to find out the rest, and download what you need.

Is your modem an internal PCi card, or an external one?

It should say on it what it is, somwhere, to give you a clue.

Plus once the modem is up and running, you will need to know your ID, your password, if on dial up, the phone number to dial

so to start, what type of modem, to give a clue as to what you will need to go about doing.

blueblue 21:49 05 Oct 04

thanks for such a quick responce, will just have to connect to my own pc to see what info i can get then will get back to you both, is it possible to download the drivers onto a floppy then put them on my pc?, everything is onboard as far as i know, but i dont have a motherboard cd.
excuse if it takes a while to get back to you, this old pc realy is slow and sometimes just reboots for no reason, but at least its got me on line.

regards

jim
blueblue

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:59 05 Oct 04

Belarc advisor click here

run this on your pc to identify all components.

Post make model of modem /audio card / motherboard chipset etc and we can point you to the drivers.

Diodorus Siculus 22:06 05 Oct 04

click here
Everest is another good option to ID your components.

blueblue 13:09 07 Oct 04

the make of my mother board is K7S5A, so any suggestions as to which drivers i should download would be great, sorry for the log delay in getting back to you but i have to borrow my neighours pc to get in touch, dont know if it helps but my own pc is an AMD Duron.

many thanks to everyone for helping me out.

jim
blueblue

blueblue 05:08 12 Oct 04

drivers installed, big thanks to everyone for their advice.

cheers

jim

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant