help with dial up problems & downloads

boo_hiss_boo 22:51 07 Sep 04

Hi guys
I have just been to my sisters house where she has been having really bad problems with ultra slow (or not at all) connection with her tiscali dial up connection. I have been trying to update all of the different anti virus & spyware that I have been advised of myself from here. However, although I have managed to download spybot S&D and Ad Aware SE, the updates keep failing and errors occurring. I pointed her to panda scan last weekend which she managed evertually to do and this did clean some viruses but no improvement to the connection.

I have suggested to her that I bring the base unit to my house and use my broadband connection to download all of the software I have advised her to install, run the updates and the checks and then hopefully send it back to her with everything installed and up to date. (and virus /spyware free!)

Can anyone think of any reasons why I could not do this, I dont want to add to her problems....

Thanks
Boo

VoG II 22:58 07 Sep 04

Sounds good to me.

Except that if there is crud on the PC that is stopping anti-whatever programs running then you won't be able to run them either. There are ways around this so post back when/if you hit problems.

I'll bet she has been downloading "music" - that wasn't.

boo_hiss_boo 23:08 07 Sep 04

Vog

I think her 16 year old daughter probably has ! :o|

I will no doubt do this at the weekend so I will close this thread (just needed to check there weren't gonna be more problems with me connecting her pc to my connection etc) and repost a new one with the correct title if I hit snags!

Thanks

Boo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…