Help - desktop icons have disappeared

rick30961 07:56 31 May 07

Windows XP home version, all but 3 of my icons have disappeared. Tried system restore, they all came back, but then disappeared again after about 5 minutes.
I've done the "right click desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons", thing but to no avail.
Help,......please
Rick

Task manager,
Once in the Task Manager, make sure you are on the "Processes" tab and then click on "File" in the Task Manager menu. Then select "New Task (Run...)" and type "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) in the "open" field. Then click ok

rick30961 10:42 31 May 07

Thanks mate, will try it when i get home, at work at the moment, will let u know if it works.
Thanks again for the prompt reply
Rick

Hawy 13:49 31 May 07

Try this click here

rick30961 06:24 01 Jun 07

Raven... all that did was to open windows explorer, i don't have any problem accessing anything on my pc, just the desktop is devoid of icons. Tried Hawys' suggestion, everything is as it should be anyway.
I ran msconfig, made sure the desktop box in the startup tab was checked, the icons all came back, but then when pc had finished doing its restart, they all disappeared again. One thing i noticed was the item in the startup tab called desktop had a (2) after it. Could this be relevant to the problem?

click here
item 195 right hand side, give that a go

or type into run sfc /scannow(note the space)
it may ask for your xp disc so have that to hand

rick30961 18:30 01 Jun 07

Raven, you are the Man!, thanks very much, sorted

Rick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…