Help Deciding choice of components

alltime 11:48 08 Jul 04

I want to build a computer. Can i have some advise please? Amd athlon or pentium 4. Msi or Asus. Aries atx 9980 case?. Can you experts advise any advantages or disadvantages between amd or pentium 4 and the above boards, also is there one hdd better than another or is this a personal thing. When the details or the motherboard say onboard sound does this mean you dont need a sound card. (excuse my ignorance)
My list to date is, Intel pentium 4 3.2Ghz with Asus p4 800 ATX SIS648FX.
Aries Case as above.
Maxtor Diamondmax 120 gb 7200hd.
Geforce 4 Fx 5200
Nec dvd+/-RW drive
Is this a good combination of components that are compatable?

JayDay 11:58 08 Jul 04

I can help on a few questions. I always go for an AMD chip. You get a lot more for your money. Onboard sound means the soundcard is built in to the motherboard so you don't need a soundcard. Onboard sound is fine if you aren't an audiophile, or an avid gamer.As for the HDD I have had Seagate, Maxtor, IBM, Western Digital and all have performed well and never failed. I have a Maxtor at the moment which is 7 years old and still going strong.

Gaz 25 11:58 08 Jul 04

Id go with MSI. Had problems with ASUS motherboards.

Gaz 25 12:01 08 Jul 04

Seagate HDD's any day - live up though the toughest of times.

AMD is my choice, fast and chearful - at a low cost.

alltime 12:12 08 Jul 04

thanks for the advise. When you buy these parts do you get cables etc, and on start up (assuming everything is connected properly), does the bios come up automatically, or do you have to play around with settings etc.

georgemac 12:29 08 Jul 04

I like ASUS motherboards, have had 3, 2 currently still running athlon xp's, one was a pentium 3, and have never had a problem with them (touching wood). Have had a gigabyte die on me, as did a friend, and a ECS died on me also, all running athlon's. Have never used MSI so cannot comment.

I like AMD but if you do not like noise from all the cooling fans you will require, be particularily careful about the case (nice and large) and the power supply, worth splashing out a bit more for one with quiet fans, and the same for your cpu cooler.

Maxtor hard drives in both my pc's just now, never had a problem with any hard drive (touches wood again!)

DVD/CD writers, sony and samsung, excellent products.

Keyboard/mouse - microsoft.

JayDay 12:49 08 Jul 04

If you buy a bare HDD you won't get any cables. However most motherboards come with HDD & FDD cables.

With regards to your BIOS it will depend on the motherboard. Read the manual and it will explain. The most you will probably need to do is enter the BIOS get it to recognise your drives, save and exit.

spuds 12:58 08 Jul 04

Amd-Asus-Maxtor.

You might find these sites interesting click here click here

paul32000 13:23 08 Jul 04

I've just bought bits for my new pc which include an amd athlon xp 2800, gigabyte GA-7VA mboard, crucial RAM (512mb PC3200), ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128mb, a cheap hdd and a new case from dabs and got the whole lot for just over £300. Pretty good cos i'm a student on a low budget. I've had no problems with any of the equipment and the pc is fast enough for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…