Help with data transfer to new computer

golfpro 09:07 10 Feb 05

I shall be shortly buying a new computer. Because I live in Austria the OS (XP home/pro) will be a German version pre-installed, so I will have to do a clean install with the English version. But that is not my problem, What I want to know is, how do I transfer the programs and data that I have installed on my existing computer to the new one,
I have instalation discs for some of the programs but not all, some were downloaded from the net and others have been upgraded several times in the past.
So what is the best way to go about this?

FelixTCat 09:26 10 Feb 05

Data is easy. Put your old hard disk in the new computer as a slave drive and copy the data across.Programs are much more difficult, as they often instal files in the Windows directories and entries in the registry. You nearly always have to reinstall from scratch.

If all else fails, you can try installing your existing hard disk in the new computer and booting from it. If you are really lucky, it will boot and then load the necessary drivers from the system disk. However, many people have found that the system won't even boot if it is XP - Win98 will almost always start and load the drivers.

With the size of hard drives as they are these days, I create a partition and copy all my program disks, including XP, onto it. Then whenever I want to add more features etc the installation goes ahead much faster.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…