Help with C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com

geewis357 21:19 15 Nov 05

Can any body help,

when accessing the comand prompt I am getting a pop up titled 16 bit MS-Dos Subsystem and the message,C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com

The NTVDM CPU has encounted an illegal instruction, CS:of88 of IP:e7e7 op:63 b 7 14 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the programme.

Can someone shed some light on this
OS XP Pro on a laptop

VoG II 21:35 15 Nov 05

If you are typing

cmd

in a Run box when this occurs there is something amiss because it should be looking for cmd.exe not cmd.com

See if anything click here helps.

geewis357 21:55 15 Nov 05

Yes VOG I typed cmd into the run box and I hav double checked and the message is exactly as I have posted.

VoG II 21:58 15 Nov 05

If you have looked at the suggestions in my earlier 'click here' I would do a scan with Ewido click here

geewis357 22:54 15 Nov 05

Thanks VOG, I could not find anything in your first posting but the second one is fantastic I don't know how much the full version is but I think I will buy it anyway.

BEN MARSHALL 16:49 16 Nov 05

This is caused by a worm that my girlfriend had on her PC, it Disables CMD, TASK Kill, and usually Reg edit! run an online virus scan using Trend micro house call, it should find it!
click here PS.Trend might not be able to remove it but type in the name of the virus on the web and it will tell you how Please note that the worm might disable Task Manager so Google & download a free programme called "Kill box" and terminate its running process! If you cannot get into the registry then Download Hijack This find the values and delete it!

geewis357 19:56 16 Nov 05

You were right on Ben regedit does nor work either. I have run SFC in the hope that it would restore things but alas not, does anybody know how I can restor my system as sistem restore does not go back far enough.

woodchip 20:04 16 Nov 05

No CMD.com in XP

VoG II 20:06 16 Nov 05

Have you tried deleting C:\windows\system32\cmd.com

It may be reluctant to go - if so click here

geewis357 20:07 16 Nov 05

in a halthy system you are correct, alas my pc does not qualify for this title.

geewis357 20:10 16 Nov 05

If I delete the file how would I replace it with the correct one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…