Help with CSS Laying

jaysmoke 17:20 15 Dec 03

I am having a hell of a time trying to get the grips of CSS laying and positioning but i haven't been at luck. Was wondering if there was anybody out there who is really intuned with the subject to help me out.
Check out click here and lemme know if it is the correct format since i heard that netscape doens't support height in css.

Taran 18:49 15 Dec 03

I love CSS but it has to be said, unless you have a very real reason for wanting to use/learn it, HTML is still the most sound (not to mention simple to use) solution.

What exactly are you having bother with.

I've looked at your CSS file and there are a few problems I can see immediately, not least of which is your specific font selection for the main body text copy. You've used Verdana (full marks for that) but you've specified it as a font family which it isn't - it's a specific, single font and it's a little dangerous to have that without alternatives set out for your main text copy.

You have two body {} blocks which need to be combined into one and it should really be labelled html, body {} so put your scrollbar colous (which are not valid byt he way) into the main body block.

frankly, you have a great deal going on in the CSS file, and I'm not sure without spending some time looking closely at your code why you still have align= instructions in some of your dive tags since all of this can be sidestepped into the CSS file.

Ask some specifics - what is it you want to do and why ?

There's nothing stopping you from installing NetScape from a magaziune covermount CD and trying it for yourself.

I test using IE, Firebird and one or more of the Apple browsers. Right or wrong, I gave up a long time ago trying to make every site fit all browsers and some of the limitations of NetScape and Opera drive me nuts.

One final word of warning - all the special effects and layout tricks in the world are great, just as long as they work. Stick to CSS1 if you can since pretty much every browser can cope with it in full. CSS2 (and the up and coming CSS3) have shot past browser software capabilities to deal with it.

Regards

Taran

IClaudio 12:26 17 Dec 03

...if you don't mind me making a small, unrelated observation, I think you should check your use of apostrophes, which is spoiling a well-designed and informative site (I'm an apostrophe pedant, so this may not worry others!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…