Help creating home network -wireless+wired on sky

buster7 12:17 30 Dec 07

hi. am on sky broadband, pc[XP] wired via ethernet to netgear router supplied by sky.It's working fine at the moment!. My daughter has new laptop[Vista]. Could someone please walk me through setting up a network. The pc would remain wired, the laptop wireless. What settings do i need to change or set on the pc and laptop. I'm a complete novice at this. Any help please!!

BurrWalnut 14:15 30 Dec 07

Firstly, on the XP machine, set up a workgroup by right-clicking My Computer > Properties > Computer Name and change the default Workgroup Name to something more meaningful in your household, also make the Computer Name recognisable, e.g. MainPC or IBMPC. The computer should reboot. Now identify the folders/files you want to share and right-click them and select share and read or read/write access (or you can drag the files to Shared Docs). A little hand should appear under those that are shared.

WinXP Pro is slightly different click here

As you are sharing with a Vista machine, you may need to install the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) Responder on the XP machine click here

In Vista, right-click Computer > Properties > Change Settings then change Computer Name and Workgroup Name. WinVista is slightly different click here

Repeat this on all PCs, use the same workgroup name but, of course, a different computer name.

Windows firewall is normally set to allow file and printer sharing but if you have a third-party firewall make sure that it allows access so that each machine can talk to the other(s).

To see or copy files, go to Start > My Network Places (Network in Vista) and the computers/folders/files should appear. In Explorer drag them from one PC to the other.

Share a printer, here click here

Ashrich 15:25 30 Dec 07

The security key for the router will have been provided by Sky on a slip of paper , make sure you have it to hand when connecting the laptop for the first time .

Ashley

buster7 22:21 01 Jan 08

Thanks BurrWalnut and Ashrich for your quick and helpful advice. Following your advice and the links you gave, I had my daughter surfing the net in about an hour. It went pearshaped afterwards though. I changed the security[network]key on both computers, using the same key on both, and my daughter lost her internet connection. Reverted back to original key and all is well again. Now attempting to configure her e-mail account!! It never ends! Again many thanks and a happy new year.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac