HELP! Copies of copies Taking over my computer!

I decided to clean up my hard drive and copy my files on to CD (contemplating SP2!) For some reason as I delete files thety are reproducing themselves as copies. I have copies of copies and I have copies (9) All I want to do is reatin the original file and ditch the copies as I delete they reproduce I'm drowning ! Help!

BTW by doing a file search for the word Copy I have delighted over 1000 files. I'm using Nortin Virus protection which is up to date- have I set the pc back up wrongly or is there a more serious problem? Only seems to have occured after I tried to copy files to CD using Pinnacle Instant Write software.

I may have delighted the files but what I actually did is delete them :)

Sethhaniel 09:47 12 Oct 04

by dragging and dropping - sometimes if the destination is for some reason not available it will copy the files instead into the same or different location - also if you were to press CTR key as you dragged they would copy instead of move

AHA! I was holding CTRL to select the billions of files. So I have to copy each document individually?(& check out destination first?)

VoG II 09:51 12 Oct 04

No, just take your finger off the CTRL key before dragging the files elsewhere.

hector710 09:52 12 Oct 04

I use XP home with IE 6. When using sites like E-bay, and using the search engine, if I type in, for example "s", I am given all examples of previous searches beginning with "s". what is the best way of getting rid of these?

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:54 12 Oct 04

Hover your cursor over each entry and hit 'delete'.

G

Thanks VOg I see now how I wa sspawning millions of files- it was scary !!
BTW is adaware the best freebie for spy checking my pc?

VoG II 10:23 12 Oct 04

Ad-aware is good but also get Spybot click here - they each spot things that the other misses.

Catastrophe 10:26 12 Oct 04

Debe

I was using Ad-aware with Ad-watch. Then I tried Spybot Search and Destroy and it found loads Ad-aware had missed. Now I use both and also Spyware Doctor. Spyware Doctor was not free but it found one or two nasties the othes missed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…