Help with Connection Speed Please

McD 14:26 29 Jul 03

I have recently moved to Cyprus and live in a rather remote area with no phone lines. CYTA (Local phone company) very kindly offered me a mobile phone which operates within a limited range of the house. Calls are charged at normal phone rates. Problem is I can connect to the Internet but only at 9.6Kb maximum. I have learned to live with this, but when web pages are loading they take forever. Is there any way I can make all pages that load low graphics versions, and disable flash messages from loading. They just take forever? Just as an example getting from PCA Log In page to the Helproom has taken me 5 minutes!! I am using Windows XP Home and IE Version 6. Thanks in advance

ade.h 14:38 29 Jul 03

A download manager utility may be some help - they're usually freeware or shareware - check the downloads link on sites like this one or do a web search.

Jester2K II 14:46 29 Jul 03

click here Fresh Download

McD 14:48 29 Jul 03

ade.h thanks for the reply have had a look at this option (Gandalf recommended on in another thread) only problem is it's 1.67Mb Can you imagine how long that would take to download in bytes per second!!! I will never complain about slow modem connections again.

Jester2K II 14:51 29 Jul 03

Cyber Tweak MIGHT help speed things up

click here

Also in IE Tools Menu, Advanced, Multimedia,

Uncheck..

Show Pictures
Show Videos
Show Animations

etc

Chegs ® 14:52 29 Jul 03

You could try Opera browser,it has the ability to "switch off" most things,for faster surfing.Only snag its a few mbs d/l'ing.Do you know anyone with a "normal" connection could d/l these files for you?

McD 15:07 29 Jul 03

Thanks guys, Jester 2K II done that! But a lot of the ads still load as part of the web page, and it takes time! Even the simple tasks are slow. AVG updates normally about 1400 to 1500Kb's take 30 minutes! I guess I'll just have to live with it in the meantime. I won't tick as resolved just yet in case someone comes up with anything else. Thanks again

DieSse 15:18 29 Jul 03

There is nothing you can do - download managers won't help, as any site can supply info far faster than your link can handle, so it's impossible to get it to you faster by any means.

You could try turning off pictures, this will help a lot - then you can simply call up any specific picture you want.

Look for things like Opera on a CD, to save downloading.

DieSse 15:19 29 Jul 03

You could always see if a satellite link is possible where you are.

McD 15:46 29 Jul 03

Thanks for the responses, will check out satellite option DieSse never thought about that!

Belatucadrus 16:07 29 Jul 03

click here for naviscope it doesn't work miracles, but can be set to block a lot of spurious traffic.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…