Help connecting to internet

ladyjaynelikeschoc 16:31 PM 01 Mar 12

Hya. I have recently bought a usb wireless adaptor for my pc so i can put it upstairs. However the driver has installed ok but i having that old IP address problem, and it saying i have limited or no connectivity despite me rebooting comp and also trying the repair. The IP address appears to be one of those 169. ones. Can you help me too find the correct address or sort this problem, i am afraid i am not that good with these computer things!!!!

mgmcc 18:36 PM 01 Mar 12

The most common reason for getting a "169.254.x.x" address is that the adapter hasn't actually connected to the router to get its correct address. You don't say which version of Windows you're using, but have you 'scanned' for Available Wireless Networks, selected the one whose SSID (network name) matches that of your router and then selected the option to "Connect" to it? You would probably be prompted for an encryption key, which may be on a label on the underside of the router, and should then be connected.

D@ve 02:08 AM 05 Mar 12

The first thing to rule out would be whether it's a problem of range - Temporarily move the computer and router as close as possible to each other and see what the result is - if it works then you know that the wireless range isn't good enough with your current setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: When is Black Friday & what are the best tech Black Friday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the animated Christmas ad everyone's tallking about

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know