Help to connect laptop wireless to desk top PC

Old Town Steve 13:32 29 Nov 06

Hello,
My daughter has been given a laptop and wishes to share my internet connection with my desk top pc. The Laptop has XP Pro sp2 installed, and has intergrated wireless lan 802.11b (plus in the carry case i've found a wireless cardbus adapter, not sure what to do with this!)

My desktop pc has XP home sp2 installed and is connected to the internet via a voyager 205 adsl router (BT).

I need to know what kit I need to get to make this possible, I'm happy for the desktop PC to still be connected by wire, only need the laptop wireless.

Cheers in advance for any help.

mgmcc 13:49 29 Nov 06

As I understand it, the Voyager 205 is a "wired" only router, is that correct?

My standard "blurb" on wireless networking:

To create a wireless network for Internet access and File/Printer sharing, you have essentially two options:

1) Install a Wireless Network Adapter in each PC and create an “Ad Hoc” Wireless Network. This is a network in which the two PCs talk directly with one another, rather than via a Wireless Access Point. “Internet Connection Sharing” is then enabled on the actual Internet connection in the “host” PC and the “client” PC will have Internet access provided the “host” is running and online.

To enable “Internet Connection Sharing” in Windows XP, open the Network Connections folder, right click the actual internet connection (modem connection), select Properties and then the Advanced tab. Tick the box “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the Internet connection, it automatically configures the network adapter used for your "Home Network Connection" with the IP address 192.168.0.1 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0. If you have more than one adapter available for this purpose, e.g. both a "Local Area Connection" and a "Wireless Network Connection", you will have a drop down list from which to select the appropriate adapter. The "Client" PC's Wireless Network Connection should be set to get its IP address automatically, which it does by DHCP from the "Host" PC. Also, if you run the Zone Alarm firewall in your "Host" PC, the Internet Zone Security level must be reduced from High to Medium or "ICS" traffic will be blocked.

2) The preferred option for connecting more than one computer is to use a wireless broadband Router and, with ADSL, this should be a combined “Router/ADSL Modem”. This is an “Infrastructure” wireless network because the connected PCs communicate via the router’s Wireless Access Point. Again, a wireless adapter is installed in any PC that needs to connect wirelessly, but often the main PC is close enough to the router for it to use a “wired” connection with only the remote PC connecting wirelessly.

In your case, if you didn't want to use Internet Connection Sharing, you could either replace the "wired" router with a "wireless" one, or plug a "Wireless Access Point" into a free ethernet port in the existing router. A stand-alone Wireless Access Point will probably cost as much as a new wireless router though.

Errie 19:23 29 Nov 06

Bt Voyager 2091 Wireless ADSL Router. It is free with certain options from BT. I am connected by Ethernet to the router, my wife and daughter use their Wireless Card and have no wire connection. It is very fast. All you need is to install the BT CD into the Wireles Laptop and it will take you through the simple set up. I let all the family use my connection and sometimes have three Laptops and My PC all on line together. My connection Speed is 100.0 Mbps and the laptops I think are about 60Mbps.

Old Town Steve 07:56 30 Nov 06

Thanks for your answers. What about if I just connect a USB network adapter? Will that work?

Also any ideas why the laptop has a seperate 2.4 ghz highspeed wireless cardbus adapter? (as it says it has intergrated wireless lan! Could I use this adaptor for the desktop pc to connect to the laptop?

mgmcc 11:17 30 Nov 06

<<< What about if I just connect a USB network adapter? Will that work? >>>

If you install a USB "Wireless Network Adapter" in *your* PC, you can create an "Ad Hoc" wireless network and enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on your connection to the voyager router. Your daughter would then have internet access wirelessly, provided your PC was running and online.

<<< Also any ideas why the laptop has a separate 2.4 ghz highspeed wireless cardbus adapter? (as it says it has integrated wireless lan! >>>

It may be that the built-in wireless adapter was 802.11b (11Mbps) and that someone wanted the higher speed of 802.11g (54Mbps).

<<< Could I use this adaptor for the desktop pc to connect to the laptop? >>>

You would need to install a PCI card with PCMCIA slot in the PC. These cards are available but would be more expensive than either a USB or PCI Wireless Network Adapter.

Old Town Steve 13:25 30 Nov 06

mgmcc many thanks, great info. I will now have a think about what option to take.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…