//some 3rd party need geo

HELP - conflict between win xp and norton a/v

marcus22798 16:16 24 Oct 03

Recently installed norton a/v onto win xp home edition. Once i've booted up to windows it can take a minute or so for me to be able to access an application. I'm wondering whether me installing norton a/v is causing a conflict which has slowed down my pc. any advice please?

Epoc 17:32 24 Oct 03

I have a similar problem, I think I have tracked it down to the 'Intelligent Background' service. If you look in 'Administrative Tools' on the Control Panel, click on the plus next 'Event Viewer', and then click on 'Services' from the sub menu. If it is the same problem there should be a sprinkling of red circles with crosses in with the explanation'Intelligent Background crashed on startup' or something similar. I have not found a way round this, but like you I only got this trouble after installing Norton 2002. My home system works fine though and that is running Norton 2003. Sorry to not be much help.

Epoc 17:33 24 Oct 03

Sorry, forgot to say to click on Services on the window that opens when you have double clicked on Administrative Tools.

marcus22798 18:23 26 Oct 03

Thanks seems to be the problem. I would realy appreciate it if someone out there could me resolve this as it is starting to become very annoying...

Fateful Shadow 18:30 26 Oct 03

If there are no error windows, then I think the reason is because of the resident scanner thingy (the part of the AV that is always on). I know when I used Norton it took a while for it to load up.

In the end, I got rid of Norton and went to a free one which is a lot better in my opinion.

Hope this helps :)

Fateful Shadow 18:31 26 Oct 03

By the way, I usually don't have it on at startup. I only start it once I connect to the internet.

obbit 18:37 26 Oct 03

it might be better to save a bit of money and get the free AVG instead of norton.

norton is a bit difficult i have found. but avg is brill and causes no trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…