Help!! - Computer turns off for no apparent reason

Raywood 08:31 12 Jul 04

The last three times I have used my computer it has unexpectedly stopped. The main tower unit turns off. I can get the machine to start again only if I pull the plug from the wall socket.

The computer has stopped at three different places:

1. Clicking the cross on My Computer.

2. During a startup scan disk (as a result of the first stop). It did have time to complain about a 'Trucated' Explorer.exe in the Prefetch folder.

The third instance was clicking 'Start' after checking to see that Windows was still working.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what is or has happened?

Raywood 08:35 12 Jul 04

The computer was plugged back in again.

Sorry I mean 'Truncated' not 'Trucated'

User-312386 08:36 12 Jul 04

could you please advise what operating system you are using

Raywood 08:58 12 Jul 04

I am using Windows XP Home Edition SP1 (with the latest windows updates)

xania 09:08 12 Jul 04

There's not a lot to go on but there may be a clue in that truncated file. This implies that part of the system may have become corrupt. Have you tried using one of your restore points? I'm fairly new to XP so can't be sure how well these work, but from the tales I have heard, if you can go back far enough to before the problem first occurred, you can clear most problems. If that doesn't work, try a repair from your install CD.

Raywood 13:50 14 Jul 04

What information would you need. The computer is getting worse. The cut outs can happen at anytime, which is making it unusable. All the fans work and the computer's temperature is about 10 degrees celcius below the warning level.

plumber111 14:15 14 Jul 04

i had the same sort of prob and it turned out to be power supply upgraded psu and now works fine i could be wrong but gust a thought...

inneedofhelp 14:56 14 Jul 04

check these things
make sure the fan and heatsink are located properly and that the fan is turning(dont always go by the temperture probe)
Make sure you video ard is located properly
Start ure system in safe mode and use that for a while. If it works fine, then you will know if a file is damaged. If that is the case, then turn off the pc .turn it on again but this time put in your xp disk and choose the option to repair your current version of windows

If your pc doesnt work in safe mode, then it is highly likely that ure psu is knackered.

Raywood 19:22 14 Jul 04

Windows XP seems to work fine now. The fan seems to be working. The bit I don't understand is that the monitor is still powered and the motherboard LED light are still lit before, during and after the cut out. I will be investigating PSU's. I had another PC with PSU problems but it just died. I couldn't get the machine to start like I can with this one.

Thank you for your ideas/advice.

Raywood 19:42 14 Jul 04

Seeing as the solution could be a new Power Supply Unit. Would a 300/350W power supply be big enough to support a P3 450MHz processor, 2 CD/DVD drives, 1 Hard Disk, 1 Floppy disk drive and 3 expansion cards (Modem, sound and Graphics). I have no idea what the strength of my current one is.

stalion 19:50 14 Jul 04

if your comp is runnning do a checkdisk windows will repair any dodgy files,also you could have a virus or trojan

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's most powerful…

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple