Help Computer specification

carrie-anne 20:32 16 May 04

Can any body give me a bit of advise, I got a new computer a few weeks ago with the following specification.

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 3200 Processor
Memory - 1024MB DDR RAM (2x 512MB)
MS6741 K8 Micro ATX Motherboard
Graphics - 128MB ATi Radeon 9800 All-In-Wonder Graphics with PCTV & TV Out

I had been using it for a while and deceided to check the hardware as it did not seem that much faster than my sons which was a lot cheaper .I did this with the an online pc managment software and it showed me the following.

PROCESSOR
2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64
128 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

MAIN CIRCUIT BOARD

Board: Micro Star International PT-2200 1.0
Bus Clock: 216 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01

MEMORY MODULES
1024 Megabytes Installed Memory
Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty

I rang the technical dept who told me to change the bios FSB speed which was on 200 to the highest which was 280 and it then changed the above spec to 2.15 processor.When i exlpained wahat i should of had he cut me off I then rang back and was told he cannot comment on what I have to ring the sales dept and that sometimes a 3200 will run a lot less.
Can some one tell me from the above details what I actually have so I can ring and not get fobbed off that this is write if it is not.

Totally-braindead 21:08 16 May 04

Try downloading the free version of Aida 32 and see if it gives you more info frm here click here I'm always suspicious of these on line checks as they are usually trying to sell something

LastChip 21:28 16 May 04

To deal with the processor speed, the 3200 has an operating frequency of 2000MHz click here(4271) This has been AMD's practice for some time, to indicate the equivalent Intel performance of it's processors. Speed is not the only thing that influences performance. The design of the CPU is different to Intel's offering, and hence a straight comparison of speed would not tell the whole story.

The Front Side Bus (FSB) speed is a puzzle, as the chip no longer relies on that to do it's work click here(4466) You can see there is a dedicated memory bus that takes it's place.

I'm a little concerned about the representative telling you to alter the FSB, but who am I to question their tech. department? The point is, it looks like your DDR memory should run at 400MHz which would suggest an FSB of 200, the setting as per the factory.

In general, it looks to me, you have what you have paid for and as regards the speed the machine runs at, you will not see any significant difference in speed of your applications until either, you have 64 bit applications running on the machine (and they are almost non-existent for home use at present), or you are playing very graphic intensive (latest) games, or you are significantly multi-tasking. On the plus side, your fairly well future proofed for now!

Mikè 21:29 16 May 04

The Athlon 64 3200 runs at 2Ghz, you have overclocked it at 2.15Ghz.

Amd type numbers are not an indication of clock speed as such, but an idea of the equivalent pentium cpu.

LastChip 21:32 16 May 04

The links above did not transfer well. Click on the link to open the page and then add onto the address either (4271) or (4466) to open the correct page. Note the quotes and number must be added straight to the address with no space.

stalion 21:38 16 May 04

I would suggest you put the setting back to the original spec just incase you need to return your computer at a later date.Because altering anything can invalidate the guarantee.Regards

LastChip 21:41 16 May 04

;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…