help for computer illiterate using Ccleaner please

earthlover 11:09 01 Jul 08

Downloaded Ccleaner last night and used the registry cleaner and the Windows cleaner partially.

I was too scared to clean out the list of files that come up when i analysed the Windows System (264MB in total). They are mostly WINDOWS/TEMP but as I haven't a clue what they are - can anyone explain?. Are thes old files no longer in use or should I leave them.

Same with the registry I was scaared to clear everything as I dont know what they aare and I know the registry is important.

Help please!

johndrew 11:32 01 Jul 08

Ccleaner is a good safe tool.

The `WINDOWS/TEMP` files are exactly what they say, temporary files that Windows makes when carrying out functions. If Windows wants them in the future it will make them again.

Always backup your Registry before cleaning with any tool - even though Ccleaner will also do this for you. I have never had a problem with Ccleaner (and not heard of anyone who has) but it could happen. I use ERUNT click here to backup my Registry on a separate drive (I have two) but you can save on an external drive, CD or separate partition if you want. This would allow you to access the backup in an emergency. ERUNT makes backups that you only need to click on to get them to reinstall.

johndrew 11:36 01 Jul 08

Sorry screwed up my post. What I meant to say was:

`Always backup your Registry before cleaning with any tool. I use ERUNT click here to backup my Registry (even though Ccleaner will also do this for you) on a separate drive (I have two) but you can save on an external drive, CD or separate partition if you want. This would allow you to access the backup in an emergency. ERUNT makes backups that you only need to click on to get them to reinstall. I have never had a problem with Ccleaner (and not heard of anyone who has) but it could happen.`

The rest is OK.

earthlover 11:49 01 Jul 08

johndrew

Thanks for your help.

As well as the TEMP files ther are some from "Memory Dumps" and "Windows Log files".
Can u tell me what they are and if I can delete them too?

sunny staines 14:23 01 Jul 08

keep settings on default and it will be safe to delete the debris and clean the reg.

provider 2 14:55 01 Jul 08

This is a useful guide for Ccleaner beginners: click here

I would suggest you stay with the default settings at first, then go into the advanced sections after you have learned more about them.

johndrew 18:47 01 Jul 08

`"Memory Dumps" and "Windows Log files"`

Same as for `WINDOWS/TEMP`. As sunny staines says, use the default settings and feel confident.

grey george 19:41 01 Jul 08

If you use it regularly daily or weekly the amount of files will be smaller. You only have such a large number because you have not used it before. 264Mb of rubbish, in the old days that would have been a disk full.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5