Help for computer illiterate ..

Aussiespur 07:10 04 Dec 05

Hi people, I just bought a new pc & have gone onto the net only to find viruses & spyware galore. I have Norton Anti virus as well as Adaware & microsoft antispyware. The problem(s) I have are as follows:
Internet "System Error #384"
Registry mechanic picks up 29 errors but can fix 0 !!
ie HKEY_ LOCAL MACHINE/software/current version/setup ..

Can someone help me, point me in the direction of a program(s) to help ?

Much appreciated.

Aussiespur 07:14 04 Dec 05

Sorry, if you need more info let me know.

Thanks again.

ICF 07:18 04 Dec 05

Have you run Adaware and your anti virus software?
Make sure they are upto date before you run them.

Aussiespur 07:56 04 Dec 05

I have done that. They find various things such as the abovementioned plus hijack attempts & MSU something ?? BUT they can't fix them ....

rawprawn 08:09 04 Dec 05

Aussiespur it's noy clear but I wonder if while on the net you tried a product which found all these problems? A lot of products scan your computer and "Find" problems that are not there, then get you to buy the proguct to "Remove" them.Run an online scan at click here and see what happens (It is a respected site) also run Adaware in safe mode ( Tap F8 on boot to get into safe mode)

rawprawn 08:12 04 Dec 05

Aussiespur it's not clear but I wonder if while on the net you tried a product which found all these problems? A lot of products scan your computer and "Find" problems that are not there, then get you to buy the proguct to "Remove" them.Run an online scan at click here and see what happens (It is a respected site) also run Adaware in safe mode ( Tap F8 on boot to get into safe mode)

ICF 08:32 04 Dec 05

Download Hijackthis click here

Then run the program.Copy and paste the log file created in this site click here

Or alternativly post it on their forum click here

Aussiespur 08:39 04 Dec 05

Thanks rawprawn I ran the test it gave me a score.... what happens now ? It didn't tell me what was wrong & where to fix it ? I don't mean to sound like an idiot but my computer knowledge (if you didn't guess) is very very limited.

If you're patient enough to help me I would appreciate it.

wee eddie 08:52 04 Dec 05

Exactly what "Test" did you run?

Product Name - Makers Name - Web address?

As "rawprawn" says, there are a number of less than ethically correct that find, or place, problems in your system, which require a product. "You can buy theirs for a mere 30$". to solve.

Most of them are worthless, some actually place Spyware on your PC.

Update what you have, run it, and follow it's recommendations. If you actually have a problem it should be able to sort it.

Aussiespur 08:53 04 Dec 05

Ok PC Pitstop tells me I have 30 unecessary files, 4 registry errors & 3 registry keys that can be adjusted to optimize performance ... I have to pay to do this ?

rawprawn 08:53 04 Dec 05

Sorry about that if you click on "Anti Virus" on the left hand side it takes you to the page you wan, then click on "PC Pitstop Virus Scan" at the top. You may need to turn Norton off.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…