Help comparing two HP laptops - ENVY vs. Pavilion - what is the difference?

syncopation 16:28 PM 02 Jan 13
Answered

I'm looking into buying an HP laptop, and I'm lost. I want a fast machine that can handle programs like Photoshop and programs like the program needed for SMART Boards for my teaching job.

I have it narrowed down to two options: HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC HP ENVY dv6t-7200 Quad Edition Notebook PC

With coupon codes and the like I can get the two to be $10.00 apart, so price isn't the issue.

The differences I see are: Pavilion - Windows 7 Home - 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) - NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]

ENVY

• Windows 8
  • 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video memory

The rest seems to be the same. So what is the difference in the body of a Pavilion and an ENVY? Also, I'm iffy about Windows 8. I don't know much about it, but I have Windows 7 now and I like it. I heard that Windows 8 does away with the start menu and desktop and is strange, and not a lot of people like it. I'm also concerned about how compatable the Windows 8 will be with older Windows, because any school I am working in will be on XP or 7, not Windows 8.

Is the ENVY a better machine, or is HP just trying to "say" it is? Is there anything different between an ENVY and a Pavilion besides what I mentioned?

Forum Editor 01:07 AM 06 Jan 13
Answer

The real difference is that the Envy is what's called a hybrid - it becomes a tablet when you feel the need.

It doesn't have a particularly great battery life, but the main criticism has been of its keyboard - reviewers have found it stiff and unresponsive.

The Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition is a different story - without a doubt it's the one I would choose. If your budget can stretch to it I recommend that you go for the Premium upgrade 1920 x 1080 matte screen - you'll be glad you did.

syncopation 21:10 PM 06 Jan 13

Thank you! I think I will go with the Pavilion. Unfortunatly my budget doesn't allow for the upgrade of the screen... and I had to very sternly tell myself my budget doesn't allow for it, because it looks beautiful!

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay