Help for a clueless mother

uselessmum 16:39 PM 24 Jul 13

My son who is 9 loves to go on simulator games, such as flight simulators, ambulance, farmer simulators. So I am looking to buy him a beginner PC for Christmas, this will mainly be used for playing simulators and general internet use and some school work. Any help, ideas what I should be looking for and pointing me in a good direction would be fantastic. I really have no idea about this type of thing.

Nontek 18:05 PM 24 Jul 13

What is your Budget?

uselessmum 18:53 PM 24 Jul 13

Around 300ish

Nontek 19:25 PM 24 Jul 13

You might be lucky and get one of these ... Aldi

iscanut2 21:51 PM 24 Jul 13

I don't think this comes with monitor, so will have to allow approx £150 or so on top of the computer price.

Nontek 22:05 PM 24 Jul 13

Monitor £30 on eBay

Or £86 at Debenhams.

rdave13 23:54 PM 24 Jul 13

Have a look at this and add this. £104 over budget and hopefully someone can beat this.

spuds 12:02 PM 25 Jul 13

The package deal rdave13 suggested seems a good buy as a complete unit. I would have perhaps suggested a Zoomstorm at about £150 from Ebuyer, but you would have required the operating system, which would have added further expense on top of the £150.

What I would suggest if finance is tight, is perhaps have a look on eBay for a complete system. Then do what I usually do, and select something local to you, then arrange an inspection. I have picked up many 'complete' bargains like this, because people wanted to upgrade to something more in line with greater expectations. My last two complete system bargains cost less than £100 the pair. One had Windows 7 the other had Linux. Monitor wise, one had an 18" LED Delium, the other an 18" Acer. Inspecting and talking to the previous owner, can usually give a good insight to the item you might want to purchase.

mart7 18:12 PM 26 Jul 13

Personally i would think only the pc rdave has linked to will play a flight sim because it has a good graphics card

the other type of sims may play on the other systems its hard to know without a bit more information

mart7 18:16 PM 26 Jul 13

I meant the system nontek linked to at aldi

woodchip 21:29 PM 28 Jul 13

or plug it into the a tv

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…