Help cleaning up pc please

Never again 22:25 22 Dec 03

I've a p3 800mhz 512 mb win me pc which has been abused by my 2 teenage kids with kazza, and ? knows what else.

I have kept up to date with norton av and zonealarm as well as windows updates, but programs don't run al the time and my lad cant get the new sims upgrade to run at all.

Its time to clean up - but scandisk does not finish nor does defrag. Eveen the norton systemworks versions of Ndd and speed disk wont finish. I've even downloaded disk keeper lite but that has not finished despite running now foe about half an hour.

I've run spybot s&d (for what its worth) but could do with some advice please.

VoG II 22:29 22 Dec 03

Ad-aware click here Spybot (you've got; did you update it?); CWShredder click here

After this click here

Diodorus Siculus 22:33 22 Dec 03

It may well be a good idea to do a reinstall of the Operating System - it will give it a new lease of life.

hugh-265156 22:34 22 Dec 03

with so many things not working it may be best to do a format and fresh install of windows.defrag can sometimes take a few hours if it has not been done for some time.

try running defrag and a disk check for safe mode.

access safe mode by keeping tapping F8 when the computer is turned on.you will get a list of options,choose"safe mode"

remove kazaa with kazaabegone click here

hugh-265156 22:35 22 Dec 03

above should read

try running defrag and a disk check "IN" safe mode

Never again 23:06 22 Dec 03

Thanks everyone

Done VoG's and kazaabegone, but safe mode doesn't seem to work. After f8 everything loads despite my frantic tapping and choosing safe mode from the menu?

.....but undoubtedly my system must be cleaner - so here goes I am about to attempt a complete installation of the sims game for my son from the originnal + all the updates to the recent magic one, after all a pc is to enjoy!!

Wish me luck (tomorrow) any last minute advice will be welcome.

Speak to you all soon, and thanks again.

SketcH 23:19 22 Dec 03

'after all a pc is to enjoy'

But with 'The Sims'? Really? I'd rather go out and enjoy 'analog life' than that silly digital one (and its multitude of bretheren)! Lol. Still. To each their own. :o)

I'd recommend a format if this re-installation of the game(s) doesn't work. If however, you've never performed one before, I'd advise scouring for ALL driver, and system disks, and burning pretty much anything personal you value.... before even attempting to investigate the how-to's....

Bearing in mind that that particular gaming franchise has about 6-7 different add-on discs for the main program, I wouldn't put it past simply being a game error. Try replacing the disc.

Or wait for 'The Sims 2'......

Which is due out real soon.

Good Luck.

:o)

SketcH

VoG II 23:27 22 Dec 03

Reformat in order to play a game? -I think that is (well I won't say what came to mind) - unnecessary

Never again 23:27 22 Dec 03

Do you get dodgy disks?

Sorry to ask, but my lad loves ths game and has bought all the add ons.

hugh-265156 23:32 22 Dec 03

"but safe mode doesn't seem to work. After f8 everything loads despite my frantic tapping and choosing safe mode from the menu"

yes....windows will still load but without anything else running.

once in safe mode then run a defrag and run a disk check.

do you know what type of graphics card you have? most popular are nvidia or ati

update the drivers for it click here or click here you will need the drivers anyway if you decide to format.the ones you are using at the moment may be old and not be entirely compatable with the game.also think of updating direct x click here if its not on the game disk.

Never again 23:38 22 Dec 03

Hi Huggy

I've an ati rage 128 pro.

When I've loaded safe mode before it usually states this in the corners, but it doesn't this time.

I don't get the safe mode message either!

Ctl-alt-del seems to display everthing running in safe mode that runs usually?

have I another problem as well?.......

have to go now - back tomorrow (got to work at 5am).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…