Help choosing Tv tuner card sought...

Simsy 09:01 09 Nov 05

Hi folks,

Thinking of buying Christmas present, I'm sure the following must exist, but I'm not sure what exactly I should be looking for...

I want a pci card that does the following;

TV tuner, to be able to receive Freeview channels.

Be able to record to HDD as it's watched. Timeshift viewing, while recording.

Be able to "timer record" onto HDD, using supplied software.

Am I asking too much for under £40? If so, what's a realistic price?

Any suggestions.

Thanks in anticipation,

Chegs ® 09:23 09 Nov 05
  ASTRoberts 09:28 09 Nov 05

Hi Simsy
i have a pc with a hauppauge tv card and i am very satisfied with it. hauppauge may not be the cheapest, but they are certainly worth considering ...
click here for home page
click here here for digital tv receivers
these cards will perform most of the functions you want.

Simsy 09:47 09 Nov 05

My problem is I don't really know what I'm after...

However, persisting with the google search Chegs ® suggested, I found this;

click here=

which, on the face of it, looks promising...

Bearing in mind that I don't know much about this TV card caper, I'd appreciate any observations on what might be pros/cons of this card.

Thanks again,

Chegs ® 09:51 09 Nov 05

Looks like it does all you require.Its actually better than the one I use,as mine wont let me change channel from the one I'm recording. :-)

Simsy 09:56 09 Nov 05

it does look like it does everything... but I wonder whats the catch?

The range of prices goes up considerably more than this. Am I on to a good thing here I wonder?

Simsy 11:01 09 Nov 05

what, in the context of tv tuner cards, does EPG stand for/mean?

Many Thanks,

Stuartli 13:09 09 Nov 05

EPG represents Electronic Programme Guide i.e. up to date on programmes being shown on each channel.

If you go to:

click here

you will find out about the TwinHan DTV-Ter D+A digital and Analogue Freeview PCI TV card.

It incorporates Cyberlink's PowerCinema and acts as a PVR (record to hard drive), can record one programme whilst you are watching another if both are on the same MUX; will record to the HDD from a VCR or games console and you can also watch such outputs.

I have one but don't be tempted to download TwinHan's own BDA drivers and software at the moment if you get one - it's not right by a long chalk, in direct comparison to its earlier offerings.

Some ChainTech TV cards are rebadged TwinHan cards.

The TwinHan cards do all that Hauppauge etc do but are normally somewhat less expensive.

Stuartli 13:10 09 Nov 05

The TwinHan's software includes an excellent EPG.

Simsy 16:05 09 Nov 05

Thant's a big help...

just a couple more points, if I may... You say, "can record one programme whilst you are watching another if both are on the same MUX". I think by "MUX" you mean mutilplex, i.e. the groups that the digital TV channels are in... how do I know which channels are mux'd together?

Also, your point about the drivers is noted... in fact, if you go to the bottom of the link you provide it says they aren't selling it anymore until the software is sorted out!

I think the link you've provided is the same product I'd linked to earlier. I'm not sure if you were warning me off? Is it this actual card you have, but just using older software?

woodchip 16:48 09 Nov 05

No picture but I got a E.Mail with it on, it looks good click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…