help choosing processor,

cheerup347 17:53 19 Dec 05

i have the choice of 2 barebones systems but the only difference is the price and the processors;

1. sempron 2500 for £120

or

2. celeron D 1.4ghz for £133

the rest of the systems are exactly the same

which one is better?

SG Atlantis® 17:58 19 Dec 05

AMD is the flavour of the month. They tend to score better than Intel's in some bench marks but sometimes it's the other way round. It's upto you, you'll notice almost no real difference in performance at that level.

Diodorus Siculus 18:01 19 Dec 05

I'd also look at the motherboard - if they both have the same specifications (pci slots, etc) then go for the AMD. Just be sure to check what's what.

PC Bilbo 18:02 19 Dec 05

Personally I would prefer the Sempron as it would do more work per clock cycle than the Celeron D and is better value.

GaT7 18:24 19 Dec 05

Yes, I'd definitely go for the Sempron unit myself. G

Totally-braindead 19:25 19 Dec 05

I would think the Sempron 2500 would be much faster than the Celeron 1.4. If its value for money you're looking for go with AMD and the Sempron. Good advice from Diodorus Siculus though, both these PCs will be based on totally different motherboards as they plug into different sockets, so check they both offer the same upgradability such as the same number of PCI slots, USB ports and have at least an AGP port for graphics card upgrades.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…