Help choosing a new PC for my needs

Jamma79 13:43 24 Oct 08

Hi guys/girls.

It is now time for me to invest in a new PC and have spent a few weeks researching and researching again on the various components but seem to be going round in circles.

I am hoping some of you could advise me.

I am looking at getting a system that will be used for all the usual things, storage of Photos, Vidoes etc. I would also use AutoCAD with some 3D rendering, Photoshop and Illustrator on it. I'm not that much of a PC gamer apart from maybe Football Manager.

Ok, so I want to be quick and have enough memeory for my photos and CAD files, so I have been looking at Core 2 Quad processors, 3/4 GB Ram and arounf 500 GB of Hard Drive space and a decent Graphics Card

I need at least a 20" monitor to go with it, these packages are coming out at around the £700-£800 range.

Am I overkilling what I need? Could I get a package for what I need for around £500?

Any advice at all would be welcome including good places to purchase.

Thanks in advance!

recap 13:57 24 Oct 08

Personally Jamma79 it's not overkill, for your needs I would get a larger HD and top of the range Graphics card. When I saw your thread I thought anything from £700 upwards. The higher the RAM the better for your needs especially with photo's and auto CAD.

Jamma79 14:00 24 Oct 08

Thanks recap. Appreciate the response. I guessed around that sort of price would get me what I needed, but obviously don't want to spend more that I have to!

recap 14:58 24 Oct 08

You could stick with the 500GB HD and at a later time buy an external HD, they are becoming cheaper these days. I recently bought a 650GB external hard drive for around £60.

Jamma79 16:10 24 Oct 08

Yeah, good idea. So what sort of Graphics card should I be looking at? I am told Nvidea is the way to go. What model though?, I'm lost on that.

Thanks

john bunyan 21:42 24 Oct 08

I would have two hard drives - one to put an image of the other with Acronis True Image 11 in case of infection etc. Also a multi format DVD burner - maybe two as they are so cheap - so you can copy DVD's for back up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac