Help choosing a new laptop please!

Sapphira C 21:16 10 Aug 09

As a matter of great urgency I need to buy a laptop/notebook. I need it to have:

• 15 “ screen
• Built in webcam
• Microphone or do they automatically come built in if there is a built in webcam?)
• Intel Core 2 Duo
• No less than 2 GB memory
• Vista
• Good screen resolution (will be loading lots of photos and short videos)
• DVD & RW Drive
• DVD player
• Wireless network
• Built in sound card and speakers
• High speed USB2 ports
• Analogue Modem
• TV out
• Memory card ready

Now, is all that too much to expect for not more than £400 inclusive of VAT?

Oh, and how easy would it be for me to get a Greek keyboard. I understand this would be extra but would it be easy to come across over here in UK?

Any idea what I should look at and where I should go either on High Street or internet?

I think you can tell that I am an amateur and have had to look what I may need! So, what do you think have I missed anything?

Any little bit of info or advice would be wonderful.

Tks so much

GaT7 00:05 11 Aug 09

These seem to fit the bill (with Pentium Dual Core), apart from the Greek keyboard & TV out:

Toshiba Satellite L300-25H click here = £389 @ Tesco click here

Toshiba Satellite L350-235 (17" screen) click here = £449 @ Tesco click here & Play click here

Sorry, I've no idea where you can get one with a Greek keyboard in the UK, & no idea about any present laptops that do TV out. G

Sapphira C 09:40 11 Aug 09

WOW! Crossbow7, thank you so very much for your speedy reply and suggestions! I shall check them out later this morning.

Tell me, are there any benefits from purchasing a laptop from a High Street computer retailer - would they help set things up for me for free? Or if I bought from say 'Tesco' would I be able to do all that by myself. I imagine there would be some online instructions for me to follow. I am not completely computer illiterate but just lack confidence in assuming I could do it.

I spotted an Advent 5712 last night via PC Advisor. I have never heard of Advent. What do you think of that make?

Also, and very importantly, my 18 year old son (not around to help me choose laptop) may have to borrow this for uni - will this 'not so well know' brand embarrass him?

Thanks again for your help!

S

GaT7 15:57 11 Aug 09

Advent 5712 - if you mean this click here, then no I wouldn't go for it.

Advent are not know for quality products (I know the FE will probably disagree!) - & as this is one of their lowest-priced ones, not a good idea to purchase. The spec isn't very good either, & yes, "this 'not so well know' brand" might well embarrass him! (Very good of you to even care!)

Here are a few more inexpensive ones to look at click here - not all come with a built-in webcam though.

-----------------------------------------

"Tell me, are there any benefits from purchasing a laptop from a High Street computer retailer - would they help set things up for me for free?" - I'd say no real benefits from purchasing from the high street. Many who work there don't even know what they're talking about - their main job seems to be to sell you more & more. If you're not knowledgeable, then will be best avoided.

"Or if I bought from say 'Tesco' would I be able to do all that by myself. I imagine there would be some online instructions for me to follow. I am not completely computer illiterate but just lack confidence in assuming I could do it." - well, it's mostly just a case of connecting the power adapter, & switching on. If you have any problems, just post & I'm sure anyone will be glad to help :-). G

Sapphira C 20:54 11 Aug 09

Thank you for your further information, Crossbow7. Every little bit helps!

I am almost finished with my laptop research and shall let you know what I have decided on later this week.

I wonder if I could ask another, perhaps naive, question!

Could you or anyone else out there please tell me if there are any requirements for using a laptop brought over from Greece to use in UK. Is there anything more to it than using a UK plug adaptor? Can it simply be plugged in and the internet and emails immediately accessible?

(Apologies, I think I may have posted this question already on this forum but I cannot locate it, so I am sorry if I am repeating myself)

Regards

S

GaT7 21:03 11 Aug 09

Yes, should be OK as long as you can safely power it in the UK. G

Sapphira C 20:11 13 Aug 09

Thank you for all your help Crossbow7. I have just taken delivery of the Toshiba Satellite L300-25H that you suggested.

What a beauty! Now, to set it up! I haven't a clue.

No doubt we'll meet again in another thread!

Thanks again!

S

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5