Help on choosing a new laptop

Mutant_Llama 14:55 04 Aug 05

Bit of advice please, I am looking to buy a new laptop and have decided on either an Acer 5014WLMI or a 5021WLMI from click here

THe 5014WLMI has an Athlon 3400+ with Hammer technology while the 5021WLMI is a 1.6 AMD Turion.

Which one do you think would be the better of the two? I am going to use the laptop mostly through the mains so not too concerned about battery life, but do not know the advantages/disadvantages of the 3400+ and 1.6 mobiles.

temp003 17:44 04 Aug 05

The specs for the 2 laptops are almost identical (with difference in hdd capacity). It's a choice between the 2 CPUs.

The Turion is designed for mobile computers and gives you longer battery life (still not much). The only other advantage of the Turion I can think of is that it supports Intel's SSE3 instruction set (will benefit if a program is optimised for SSE3 - not too many of those programs at the moment).

Otherwise, the Athlon 64 3400+ has a clock speed of 2.2 GHz and 1 MB L2 cache (compared to the Turion's 1.6GHz and 512 KB L2 cache). I think you will find the 3400+ a much faster CPU.

Between these two, if mobility and battery life is not an issue, the 3400+ would seem a better deal (but it's going to be hot!).

Mutant_Llama 20:14 04 Aug 05

Cheers for the info, think I will go for the 3400+ and get myself some fire retardent underwear =)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…