Help to choose PC please

kizzie1 21:32 10 Sep 05

Hi all
Just wondered if anyone could help me. I use a PC at work but looking to buy one at home. I really dont know what Im doing so would appreiate any advice.

Ive sort of got it down to choice of two:

Dell Dimension 5100

Packard Bell Imedia 1427 from Currys

(the price of the two is virtually the same)

I want it for:
Using Microsoft Publisher to produce at 20 pae newsletter
internet connection
general family use
saving and editing photos

Also just wondered if anyone knows if Dell service pkgs are ok - just nervous because of buying something 'without seeing it'.

Thanks for any advice!

Gongoozler 21:37 10 Sep 05

Hi kizzie1. Before buying a computer you really need to decide what you want to use it for. If you only want it for word processing, web surfing and similar low demand tasks, then you can get a perfectly suitable computer for under £500. If, on the other hand you want to play the latest fastest games you may well want to spend over £1000.

Gongoozler 21:45 10 Sep 05

Hi again kizzie1. I apologise, you did say what you want the compter for.

I'm quite certain that either the Dell or the Packard Bell would be fine for your needs. Dell especially has a very good reputation for quality build. What I don't like about both Dell and PB is that - as far as I know - both use parts that are proprietary to the manufacturer, and therefore don't easily lend themselves to future upgrades. Have a look here click here and here click here for some other brands that would be worth considering.

howard60 21:52 10 Sep 05

I have been asked to repair both pb and dell pcs. I refuse totally the pb ones they are a law unto themselves. Dell are first rate as long as they are doing what you want and you do not need to change anything. If you do get an ordinary pc as per the budget ones listed in pc advisor. At least you can alter things unlike pb and dell.

kizzie1 22:17 10 Sep 05

Hi - thanks for all that advice. really useful!

Diodorus Siculus 07:51 11 Sep 05

Try this site for some good Dell deals:

click here
HotUKDeals :: Promotional codes, discount codes and forums :: UK deals, discount codes, vouchers, bargains and forum

canaleja 08:43 11 Sep 05

Dell is a world within a world and is OK until you have problems and then you got problems. As concerns PB, they don't sell computers, they sell "Sales Promotions". I suggest you try HP, Fujitsu Siemens, Toshiba, Sony, etc, which might be a hair or two more expensive but these brand names don't only sell "Sales Promotions" they also sell computers. To do what you want to do almost any decent computer could do the trick. Only if, as mentioned by Gongoozler, you are going to play games or (I will add) edit vidéo, play music or do a lot of editing with Photoshop (or similar). An excellent test for a computer could be to buy it at a Distributor who gives you a FREE TWO YEAR GARANTY which is one from the Manufacturer and one from the Distributor.

wee eddie 08:55 11 Sep 05

First - I don't have a Dell. No particular reason.

Dell did not get to be one of the biggest on-line PC Sellers by selling rubbish. Their stuff is first class. Check on the review for that printer, I know nothing of the cost of it's ink supplies.

PB have had very few complaints here but Curries have. The number of complaints is not really that relevant - the speed of solution maybe.

Given those 2 - I'd go for the Dell, but remember, you'll have to have someone at home for it's delivery.

Andsome 09:14 11 Sep 05

I would NOT touch any brand name with a barge pole. You will see all sorts of offers with this, that and the other all free. Just remember that NOTHING is free, it is all included in the costings. There have been many complaints on this and other forums, concerning long waits on premium rate telephone helplines. On site warranties frequently turn out to be anything but that. Find a good local shop. Visit there when they are busy. Mingle with other customers and get a good idea as to their reputation. Go back when things are quiet and discuss your personal requirements with the proprietor. You will end up with a computer exactly suited to your needs, and help just down the road should you need it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…