//some 3rd party need geo

Help with Choice of WEBCAM please

Bagsey 11:25 02 Dec 03

I need to get a webcam to set up a video link with our Grandaughter in who is living in Oman. The Oman end is sorted but I need advice on the cam to buy.
I am running XP and am on broad band. I would be using MSN Messenger to communicate. Anyone who has experience of these things please pass it on.
I looked in PCWorld this morning and the choice is vast with prices from £17.00 to £90.00, so HELP.

Infamous 11:31 02 Dec 03

The cam i use is the Logitech 4000 pro, It has got 1.3 megapixel, basicly meaning that the quality is the best i have seen for a web cam. And another bonus is that the cam has a built in micropohne that is decent quality too. The price is around 60-70. well worth the money on the quality of the picture.

Bagsey 11:45 02 Dec 03

Crikey that was fast. Thanks for your response. I looked at that one in PC World this morning but their price was £90 if I remember correctly.
I will start doing a search for better price on the net. Thanks. Any other opinions please.

rev.bem 11:50 02 Dec 03
  johnnyrocker 11:52 02 Dec 03

i currently use a philips toucam which has been excellent, msn messenger might give you problems with either sound/vision or both depending on your isp yahoo messenger however presents no problems at all including file/photo sharing. there is a new philips cam just out and i am thinking of treating myself for xmas it is the philips toucam pro 11 (2) dabs do it for £57.67

johnny.

sil_ver 11:55 02 Dec 03

I bought a Labtec cam from Tesco £19.99. I've used it with MSM no problem. Pretty basic but does the job

Infamous 12:03 02 Dec 03

yeh the cam i paid like £70 for it like 5 months ago. There are many places you could find the cam for cheaper then £90 pc world is always more expensive. but i would recomend this cam because its very good check reviews for the cam. u wont be dissapointed because of the 1.3 megapixel i havent seen another cam with the same resoloution.

johnnyrocker 12:06 02 Dec 03

have alook at the philips toucam pro 2 the spec is amazing.

johnny.

Audeal 14:23 02 Dec 03

johnnyrocker. I have the Philips Toucam as well and I have the same trouble with the sound on MS Messenger whereas it works perfectly with YaHoo Messenger

Socalled 14:30 02 Dec 03

Philip's TOUCAM for me also, it has a 60 fps as with most others only have 30 fps,and also i have no problems using yahoo or eyeball,voice /audio with msn can be tricky,not available in all parts as yet.

johnnyrocker 14:41 02 Dec 03

yep and sound results with msn strangely enough can depend on isp and connection etc

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…