Help with choice of monitor

rdh660 13:53 03 Feb 09

I have decided to upgrade from my 15" pretty old generic TFT monitor to a 19" widescreen but am finding the choice difficult. I do not use my computer for gaming but mainly surf the net and process photos,use office functions and do a small amount of video editing etc. I have read lots of information trying to teach myself about aspect ratios resolution etc and such like but have found this very confusing at times. Anyhow I have sort of decided that best for me bearing in mind I do not want to spend too much but at the same time providing a little future proofing I require a 19" VGA/DVI refresh rate ms or 5ms monitor which has a 16:10 aspect ratio rather than 16:9. I have looked at Aria/Ebuyer offers etc and a number of the monitors would in most ways fit this criteria but I am wary about their cheapness compared to HP and the like monitor. Does anybody have any opinions on the e.g Arianet super deals type monitors or am I better paying just a bit more for a better known brand . I have seen a Samsung SM2053BW 20" on Amazon which seems a really good buy does any body have any opinions on this monitor ?
Sorry for the lack of decisiveness here but when it comes to the specs of these things I really do not know how to decide which is best.

ambra4 14:40 03 Feb 09

“I have seen a Samsung SM2053BW 20" on Amazon which seems a really good buy does any body have any opinions on this monitor?”

Don’t wait buy it today

Just make sure that your display card can handle the 1680x1050 Screen Resolution

I'm extremely pleased that I brought one the last time that I was in the UK

This screen is a monster, picture quality is amazing, and it’s very well built and very sturdy.

Quality of the item is, as you would expect from such a well-known brand as Samsung and it

come with a 3 year warranty to boot!

Again, words do not do this monitor enough justice and all I can advise you is to buy one at that

price you can’t go wrong

rdh660 14:44 03 Feb 09

Thanks ambra4. I thought the price seemed a bit too good to be true and that maybe there was some known problem with this monitor.
However I think I will jump in and buy one after reading your comments.
...maybe it's simply a good deal after all !!

regards Rob

ambra4 17:20 03 Feb 09

maybe it's simply a good deal after all !!’

The other prices that I have seen is 123 + shipping

You can check out the Features and download the Monitor Quick Guide & User Manual from

Samsung UK site

click here

project 90 20:08 03 Feb 09

yup samsung make a good monitor/tv when i was upgrading mine i chose the vewisonic but only cos it was lowest response time for games

rdh660 09:43 04 Feb 09

Thanks for all the responses....I bought the Samsung yesterday after Ambra4's help and project 90's comment .It cost £112 with free shipping which sounded like a pretty good buy to me.

Very best regards and thanks again.
Rob

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos