Help on changing Boot Screen for Operating System

cassius.uk 16:16 28 Oct 06

Hi I had problems with vista, It just wasnt compatible with too may things, so I reinstalled windows xp media Centre through the boot cd from dell.

However I installed this on the wrong partition(I have two) so then went through the same process and installed it on the correct one.

I then formated the other partition to use as extra space when needed.

However when I boot it shows two versions of media centre(I use the top one, the bottom one wouldnt in effect be there). All I want is one operating system, which I have, but dont want the choice on startup. How can I erase it from startup. Please help.

I have windows xp media centre edition, 2 partitions at about 200 and 50 gig each named c: and d:

Its a dell dimension 9150 with phonenix bios from 07/06

Thank you Please help

De Marcus™ 16:18 28 Oct 06
  rodriguez 16:20 28 Oct 06

Go to your C:\ and open the boot.ini file in notepad. You should then see 2 operating system entries. Delete the bottom one, leaving the one you want to keep. Save the file and reboot and the option screen should be gone and it will just start Windows. Here's mine:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Your partitions might be different, but it should end up looking something like that. Note that the boot.ini file is hidden, so set Windows to show hidden & system files.

De Marcus™ 16:21 28 Oct 06

That won't work for the Vista bootloader.

rodriguez 16:26 28 Oct 06

I know, I posted that in case it wasn't the Vista bootloader that cassius.uk wanted to remove. If cassius.uk reinstalled through the Dell boot CD, i think it would have removed the Vista boot loader and put the orignal one back. Because Windows was installed twice, I think it might have put 2 entries in the boot.ini file. Not sure though, because cassius.uk hasn't yet specified what loader it is. ;-)

De Marcus™ 16:27 28 Oct 06

"Hi I had problems with vista, It just wasnt compatible with too may things, so I reinstalled windows xp media Centre through the boot cd from dell."

cassius.uk 18:23 28 Oct 06

Thanks for all your responses, but I cant find the boot.ini file, I have look everywhere, I have shown hidden files and searched for it on both drives.

Its getting me a bit worried, the bootloader screen is for two versions of media centre where the above one is the one I want to keep.

Please instruct me what to do to keep that and get rid of the bottom one.

Thank you

cassius.uk 18:27 28 Oct 06

Please note there is a hidden partition put on by dell which I think has the hardware diagnostics on but I dont know where to access it on windows. There was a dell restore partition but I dont think that is still there as ctrl and f11 doesnt work(had it worked I wouldnt be in this mess :-( )

Hoping you can please help me

cassius.uk 18:35 28 Oct 06

Ive done it. :-)

I went into properties on my computer- advanced - settings and edited the boot log to remove the duplicate entry. First time Ive done it :-)

Thanks for all your help tho

Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…