Help With CD Drives

I,Me and Myself 11:04 19 Apr 06

We have just got a PC back from bering repaired and their are two CD drives (one a RW) but they are not installed on the PC. How do I do it? My hubby is at work and my PC repaired friend is out. HELP!!!

It's running on Windows 98.

Totally-braindead 11:20 19 Apr 06

It sounds as if the ribbon cable has come adrift. If you are unsure at all then wait till you get hold of someone. It should just be a matter of switching off at the wall removing the case and pushing the cable firmly into the sockets and then switching on.
As I said if you are unsure about this at all wait till you get hold of the friend who fixed the PC. Its very simple but I wouldn't want you to accidently damage or loosen anything else.

I,Me and Myself 12:30 19 Apr 06

Oh My God! Took lid off, plugged two things into the CD drivers and tyrned PC on. Is asking for a boot disk and now we are on the blue help pages and we cannot turn it off. What do we do???

TonyM 13:04 19 Apr 06

Press and hold the power switch down until the machine switches off...should take about a 10 seconds.

There are a couple of things it could be - as Totally-Braindead says it is most likely the cable wasn't put back properly....but it may also be that for some reason they have been disabled in the BIOS. As your system as just been repaired ( and I assume the drives were working properly before that) take it straight back to whoever did the repair and get them to sort it out.

I,Me and Myself 13:28 19 Apr 06

Phew! Had to switch off at the back of unit. Took lid off and removed the two cables we have just fitted back in and it's back to normal. But we only have a floppy and a C drive. Still no further forward but at least I haven't completely knackered it up :)

ACOLYTE 13:47 19 Apr 06

Well if it was me i would take it back to whoever repaired it and tell them to finish the job properly.

I,Me and Myself 13:57 19 Apr 06

I can understand your reply but it's a long story, believe me and actually getting it back with Windows 98 working on it is a godsend. My better half will probably have a look at it when he comes in and then we'll make the decision whether or not to take it back again.

Cuddles 15:49 19 Apr 06

go into my computer then system and device manager look for cd entries, right click on them and remove, restart computer and it should reinstall them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 19 Apr 06

How to install a front loading drive (with pictures)
click here

Tony89 20:41 19 Apr 06

Well try having a look to see if all the Ribbon cables are cannected tightly

I,Me and Myself 22:52 19 Apr 06

Got one of them working.Just got to try for the other one now. Thanks all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…