Help! Can't update BIOS

shortcircuit 10:46 29 Jan 05

Hi .
I have a ASus A7v8x-x mobo and want to fit a Semprom 2400 in it, but the bios will not let it run at its correct speed. I want to update the Bios using EZ flash, but when it starts to read the floppy drive, it always says the BIOS file does not match the BIOS and wants me to reboot. I also have tried the conventional way to flash the bios, but the computer will not boot off the floppy. I formatted with MS-DOS in xp and loaded Aflash and the V13 bios but it keeps saying I/O error "please insert disk".

Whats going on! Is the floppy faulty or is there a fault with the mobo?

Thanks

ACOLYTE 11:16 29 Jan 05

Well i would guess the bios version you have on disc is not for your motherboard,or the wrong version for it,so the message may be saving you from making a mess of the Bios.You need to boot from the floppy by setting it to be first boot device in the bios you need the flash software and the bios on the floppy then you need to tell it to run,but i would double check the Bios upgrade you have before trying.

JonnyTub 11:20 29 Jan 05

the correct bios download is from click here use a stable version rather than a beta one

shortcircuit 11:21 29 Jan 05

Thanks.
It is the right BIOS for the A7V8X (A&V8XX13.awd). I have set the bios to boot from the floppy first and have loaded Flash and BIOS to disk. With respect,I was hoping for something a little less obvious.

shortcircuit 11:22 29 Jan 05

Yep! Thats the one I downloaded!

JonnyTub 11:23 29 Jan 05

do you have another floppy to try?

ACOLYTE 11:35 29 Jan 05

Well if it says that it doesnt match the Bios either you have the wrong bios upgrade or the wrong flash utility,i would have thought it was obvious.

georgemac © 11:48 29 Jan 05

click here download the file for making a bootdisk for biosflashing and use this to make the floppy

then copy the flash utility and the bios file to the floppy

boot from the floppy and try again to start the flash utility and if prompted save a copy of the current bios before flashing

shortcircuit 12:16 29 Jan 05

Sorry.
Didn't mean to sound unappreciative. I should have read my reply before sending it. What I meant was that I was thinking that you might have been able to spot something related to hardware as its a new build with an old mobo and was wondering if it could be the floppy drive.

Again my apologies.

ACOLYTE 15:29 29 Jan 05

No problem i didn't take offense,and i didn't mean any, all i was trying to do was stop you flashing the bios with the wrong version and make a mess of the PC,the flash utility's are pretty good and if it was saying you had wrong bios version then most likely you do i just didn't wont you to be in a mess.

961 15:40 29 Jan 05

Is the floppy disk connection the wrong way round?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…