Help, Can't get Windows Update to work.

Jimmy14 20:09 10 Jul 06

I reloaded XP Home Edition back onto my laptop today. I installed my internet connections then my Norton Internet Security suite 2006. I clicked on start, all programs and at the top clicked "Windows update" When it opens up in Internet Explorer 6 it says its checking to see if windows has the latest updating software, fair enough. Then when it stops the 2 options come up, Express or custom updates. NO matter what one I click on it will come up Checking for the latest updates for your computer for about 2 seconds in green then suddenly direct me to a page saying
"Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)

Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

I highlight the Recommended sentence in the tick box and click continue. It directs me to a new page saying "Downloading and installing the latest update software" then comes up "Registering and goes to 100%". After that is finished it directs me back to the main Microsoft Windows update page which I should click Express or custom again but whatever one I click again it comes up the same and same again about downloading new updating software which I have done about 10 times and still not working.

Any ideas,advice or help is greatly appreciated because this Is driving me round the bend.

James

brundle 20:11 10 Jul 06

give this a go click here

Jimmy14 20:43 10 Jul 06

It worked.Thanks very much, that was a great help. Just have to install the 47 updates now:)).

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…