Help - Cannot Load Graphics Drivers

FCD 15:42 26 Apr 04

I have a dual boot 98SE/XP system. Last week I updated with a ASUS A7N8X-E mobo and AMD 3200. Initially all worked well until at the weekend I found developing graphics problems - games crashed to desktop after 5 or 10 minutes. I tried new drivers and a different card with no improvement so I went for a re-install. I reformatted and partitioned my drive and reloaded 98SE on the C partition as usual. While 98 loads ok with the "Standard PCI Graphics Adapter", I cannot load any other drivers. When i try to load them, once the system reboots, 98 stops during its boot sequence with a blank screen and the message

"While initializing device SHELL:
Windows Protection Error. You need to restart your computer"

From safe mode I can remove the drivers and boot back into the standard adapter. I have now tried two different cards and several different drivers without success and would be gateful for ANY advice on what I can look at next

Diodorus Siculus 16:20 26 Apr 04

I can't pin down anything specific; click here;EN-GB;835569 for a possibility.

Is it too late to suggest a format / reinstall of Win98? It may help...

Diodorus Siculus 16:21 26 Apr 04

click here another option.

Diodorus Siculus 16:22 26 Apr 04

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-GB;835569

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…