Help! Cannot download camera pics. ...

Mimi1 20:23 05 May 05

Hi all,

Do hope someone can help me ... I'm at my wits end. I recently purchased a "cheap" chinese camera (no brand name anywhere) from ebay, together with Photoimpression/Funhouse software to edit/download. When first installed, I tested it and it downloaded some pics. OK.

However, later in the day when I booted up the pc again, it kept "freezing" and throwing up error messages. I reinstalled the software and this time it threw up "No Pictures in Camera".

I looked at the Device Manager a number of times (in between reinstalls) and noticed that sometimes an "Imaging Device" was present and sometimes not. Also an "Unknown USB Device" kept disappearing and re-appearing. Whatever appears in Device Manager, it won't download my pics. and switches between freezing and telling me I've no pics. (which I have). The batteries are new and the camera is taking pictures fine. I'm using Windows 98SE.

What I can't understand is why it worked OK to begin with.

Would this be something to do with the driver not configuring correctly or some conflict somewhere? I can't get hold of the guy I bought it from and not sure if he'd be able to help me anyway as he's probably no IT expert. I'll obviously try for a refund, but I'm pretty sure it's my computer (though I've had no problems with it in the past). I'm desperate to get it working again ... getting withdrawal symptoms as I can't sell on ebay!

Any help would be soooo much appreciated guys. I would also consider buying a better camera if necessary with different software, if anyone can make any recommendations (not too expensive though!).

Cuddles 20:30 05 May 05

If the camera has a seperate card for storage get hold of a card reader, i have had problems with the same software, very hit and miss, try different software.

Mimi1 20:37 05 May 05

No separate card I'm afraid. How can I find out what different software can I use that would be compatible with the USB cable I've been provided with ... any ideas?

Technotiger 20:50 05 May 05

Hi, *different* software - a very good, cheap source are the magazine discs such as PC Advisor
and Digital Photography and Better Digital Photography, atc, they all have 'free' CDs on the mags. The Photography mags are particularly good for software to suit your needs.

Cheers.

Bagsey 20:50 05 May 05

First of all you need to prove to yourself that there are images still on the camera. I am assuming that you are using Win XP??. Connect your camera to your computer using a USB cable. go to my computer and the camera should show up as a drive. Click on the drive and open up the camera folder if the photos are there then select them all then use the command on the left of the screen to either Move them or Copy them to a folder on your hard disc. If you copy them they will still be on your camera for further experiments if you move them then they will be removed from your camera.If you want to manipulate the images then you need to get a program like Paintshop Pro or a freebie like Irfanview.I prefer Paintshop but have used Irfanview quite a lot.

Mimi1 20:58 05 May 05

No using Windows 98SE (as stated above). The camera does not show up as a drive ... everything's totallly erratic and the driver does not appear to be loading.

Mimi1 21:15 05 May 05

Thanks Technotiger ... interesting idea, I'll take a look tomorrow. Presume these CD's include editing software, etc.?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 05 May 05

"Unknown USB Device" kept disappearing and re-appearing.
The error is probably in your USB drivers.

Try updating these especially if using a VIA chipset you need the 4 in one drivers.

Sometimes just uninstall and reinstalling the USB drivers will allow windows to find your camera.

USBMAN
click here will lead you to driver updates

Mimi1 00:43 06 May 05

Thanks for the advice. I've tried updating the USB drivers and no difference I'm afraid.

Technotiger 13:24 06 May 05

Hi, in short - Yes.

I have an original CD from PCAdvisor which includes two full programs DVD X Maker and
Videowave 5.0.

If you would like this CD contact me via my Yellow Env and I will send it to you FOC.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…