//some 3rd party need geo

HELP!! Can I change from NTFS to FAT32?

Chewie100 21:20 27 Sep 04

I have just bought a beautiful new 250gig LaCie usb hard drive. Being a bit of a novice I didn't know about the differences between the above mentioned platforms. I have formatted the drive with NTFS, thing is, I want to use it between Windows and Mac and have just discovered that only Mac OSX can read NTFS volumes, even then it can only read them. So, my question is, having realised I should have chosen FAT32, can I reformat to this platform? If so, is it straightforward? Thanks for any help.

Noelg23 21:23 27 Sep 04

Yes you can but what Windows are we talking here? and to be honest I have never heard of someone swapping a USB HDD from Windows to MAC? Is this feasible? you can re-format the drive to FAT32 no problem...

SANTOS7 21:23 27 Sep 04

click here hope this helps

Ive 21:44 27 Sep 04

Took a 50gig hard drive with NTFS from a XP pc to my local pc repair shop and asked them to convert back to Fat 32 for me and by the time I got home (1/2 hour) They were on the phone and said it was ready for collection and the charge was £10.00. Well pleased and it works fine.

Chewie100 22:43 27 Sep 04

or does that mean that FAT32 is no good for any hard drives bigger than 32gig?

Chewie100 22:44 27 Sep 04

By the way, I'm using Win XP.

Audeal 22:49 27 Sep 04

Convert Fat32 to NTFS:

IVE:
Looks to me like you where ripped off good and propper.

Chewie100: If you have XP then here are some instructions to convert your drive both ways.

Convert Fat32 to NTFS:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS.
Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to NTFS.
----------------------------------------

Convert NTFS to Fat32:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type CONVERT C: /FS:FAT32.
Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to FAT32.

Hope it helps you out and saves you a Tenner.

nerawan 22:50 27 Sep 04

Hi. Just a simple question. I have a laptop but always I connect it to the power. I want to use the battery just in a few situations when I have to. So I want to know what's the best way to keep it away. It has to be 100 % charged, just half or totally discharged. Thanks.

nerawan 22:54 27 Sep 04

Sorry. I enter the last message by mistake.

Beas-Knees 22:55 27 Sep 04

Save to my postings

FAT 32 supports volumes from 512MB up to 2TB. It is only when using Windows XP that the maximum volume is 32GB

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…