HELP! Can the Acer L100 run Doom 3?

trinigirl 17:58 10 Dec 07

Hi - I normally work on Apple Macs but recently bought my grandsons an Acer L100 with a NVIDIA GeForce 6150 graphics card. It is the higher spec. machine.

I have an Acer Aspire 9300 laptop myself and have been very pleased with its performance - I am a graphic/web designer and only occasionally use it to show my large format images. So I was very surprised when my grandsons tried to run Doom 3 on the laptop and it would not run properly.

Now I am afraid that it will not run on this new L100 I have bought him for Christmas - I have been on line for hours trying to understand whether it is because of a Vista, Acer, or graphic card problem and if I can do anything to fix it!

Can anyone help or have I just bought my grandsons a cute word processing machine and nothing much else?

SANTOS7 18:29 10 Dec 07

The Doom 3 test was a little better; the L100 managed 20 fps with graphics turned to low, and a resolution of 800x600. This is in no way a gaming machine, but games older than 2005 would run decently. Raw performance is not the only thing for this machine.

click here

text taken from link,hope it helps...

MAJ 19:32 10 Dec 07

Try running a scan here click here see what it says about running Doom3, or any other games you might have in mind.

MAJ 19:34 10 Dec 07

Obviously, you'll have to run the scan using the L100.

v1asco 16:48 21 Dec 07

I got mine in Jan and it runs Doom3 no problem, picture is fine for me. I am stuck, my creaking fingers can't get me past a level. Tried the cheat codes and they don't seem to work so will have to get my children to shoot the maggots for me!

I have the option to upgrade to Vista but have not. I am running XP because there is only 1 gb ram and reading other posts Vista may be just a bit OTT for my machine.

It is good though, nice screen, compact, quiet and of course small. Very Pleased.

mkjtdrage 22:54 01 Jan 08

I got my acer L100 summer 2007 with the anticipation of great things but only to find a slow machine compared to my old amd Athlon, but a friend came to my rescue and told me to install windows XP pro and the speed difference was amazing now i can play a host of games better and ones i couldn't before due to Vista taking so much processor power to run in the background. So my advise is to ditch vista and go to a lower processor drainer like XP.

v1asco 21:24 03 Jan 08

Thanks for confirming my suspicions, I won't upgrade now. Still like the machine though.

trinigirl 13:22 04 Jan 08

Just to add a note to my original enquiry - the L100 did in fact run Doom (even with Vista as the OS) and my grandsons were pleased with their first PC at Christmas - until the disk drive refused to eject a CD!

I'm not complaining (yet) as there are dud/faulty machines of every make and brand and Acer have sent a courier to collect the machine for repair/replacement. I did not contact Acer myself in the first instance - I left that to the company I bought the computer from and they arranged for Acer to call me and collect the computer. So I wait to see what Acer's after sales customer service is like......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced