HELP ON BUYING MY FIRST DESK TOP PC

Iain's 09:36 06 Jan 06

I have read up on the latest information and been into a few shops, but still find in very confusing to know if I'm buying the correct Desk Top PC for my use.
PC for: e-mailing: Down loading music from the web: General surfing the web:Digital down load of photo's and modifying photo's:Digital down load of camcorder dvd video's and editing:
This PC will not be used for gaming. Down load of films from the net:

Thinking of buying a 19" flat screen.
At least 1GB Memory (RAM).Maybe 2GB later !
64bit processor but not duel core but not sure about Pentium 4 or'D'processor ??
At least 160GB hard drive.Do I need more ?
Graphics card, no idea what I need for my usage ?
windows XP but not sure about Media center Edition. Need to make sure I can add Hard drives and addional memory later and other upgrades Would like to show my photos and video on the TV but can I do this without Media Edition. Buying a new TV so your advise could influence the type of TV. widescreen but LCD or Glass Tube, HD ready ?
Thanks Iain

recap 09:51 06 Jan 06

A P4 would be my choice. If you are downloading and saving your photos/movies on the HD then a larger HD would be advisable.

RAM, you would have to check that the motherboard can take more RAM before adding any.

If you have an SV-Video card then you can connect your PC to TV.

GroupFC 10:01 06 Jan 06

I am not very clued up on the tech aspect of PC's but - "160GB hard drive.Do I need more ?"

If you are going to be doing video editing in any significant amount an unequivocal YES - Video files can be huge (4mins of an .avi file (an uncompressed video file)will be about 1GB) and will soon fill up your HD!

Genius1 10:33 06 Jan 06

Yes, you certainly need a large hard drive (I would go for larger than 250GB) for video editing. A graphics card with a memory of 128Mb of more would be helpful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…