Help buildng new PC....various questions...

SpyMan {:o)){--< 18:25 16 Mar 05

I have decided to build my own PC this time....having paid through the nose with my last PC's (2 from multivision ...RIP, and my last one from mesh).

So this time i have decided to build my own and save a few quid....well about £600 to be honest.

I have made several upgrades in the past such as mobo, ram, graphics cards and new hdd's etc but the last PC i tried to put together didn't go so well and it took me ages to get it going.

So hopefully, with a little help and advice from you guys here it might go without a hitch.

1) Are PCI-Express graphics cards exactly the same to fit together as normal PCI cards?

2) When you get a new motherboard, do i have to start messing with jumper settings on the mobo?

3) If i get a new SATA hard drive and it is to be connected to a new mobo....will i get the sata drivers in the mobo box, or will i have to download them?

The problem is, is that when they show you how to build Pc's in magazines, they make it look like putting together a set of lego, but it never mentions bios settings and or mobo jumpers etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:39 16 Mar 05

1. PCI express the same fit but will only go into a PCI express slot

2. Most modern boards are jumperless

3. Sata drivers come with the board and or HDD.

the building is like lego!

its the getting it to work together that is sometimes the problem. Sites like crucial advise you what parts work together

FelixTCat 18:48 16 Mar 05

I presume that you have done your homework on price. Prices of finished units are so sharp now that I am surprised that you can make that sort of saving (unless you are buying all the parts from the USA).

You might also consider the warranty issue - you can get 3 years on a new unit but you'll be lucky to get 1 year on the parts and each supplier will blame the other (and you) if they don't work together.

However, if you want to go ahead, good luck - it's good fun.

In answer to your questions:

1. yes, it just fits into a slot - make sure the motherboard has PC-E slots

2. no, they are nearly always set in the BIOS these days

3. if you buy a "Retail" mb you will get all the drivers; if you buy "OEM" you may not - that's why the prices are different; OEM will normally exclude drivers, cables etc.

It isn't difficult and usually the default settings will do, at least to get the system up and running.

SpyMan {:o)){--< 19:09 16 Mar 05

thanks for have both put my mind at rest.

I am buying a mobo/cpu/ram bundle from so i assume all the parts will go together and they are all retail.

As for doing my homework on price...i found that most PC manufacturers tend to give you things you don't want or don't need and by removing them from the doesn't seem to reduce the price a lot.

another thing is....flat screens. I struggled to get a system thaat didn't bundle a tft screen. TFT's are of no use to me as i play games a lot and they just don't come close to that of my 22" Mitsubishi CRT monitor.

What is the point in having a graphics card that can produce resolutions of 1600 x 1200 when your monitor can't even display it....and have the highest fps around when the response time is too slow.

Anyway, Hopefully when my parts arrive i will have a fully functioning computer.

Any last advice?

woodchip 19:29 16 Mar 05

All drivers come with the Board for all the slotes and ports etc on the board. They will be on a Bobo CD along with Cables etc if you get a good board

FelixTCat 20:57 16 Mar 05

Any last advice? ASPIRIN!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…