Help With Antivirus+Firewall Help

rainwarrior 17:19 23 Nov 04

Hi im currently on dialup and ive ordered 1mb b/band, I need some help in choosing an antivrus and firewall, that will protect me as i seem too keep gettin hit no matter what i run(also it must be simple and not system hungry) i am currently running nod32 and sygate pro, nod can scan 4files cause it says they are being used(will this be a problem with vunerability or is it a good program) firewalls confuse me as what too allow(do i allow all the windows files it for permission on-or must some be blocked) any help thanx

Cook2 17:37 23 Nov 04

click here

With the firewall e.g.

I say no to everything except Avast!, AdSubtract, BigFix etc to allow them to auto-update but with Windows auto-update I set to 'ask'

If in doubt just block it. If a program doesn't run then you will have to allow.

smudge101 17:39 23 Nov 04

I run two free programs that have kept me protected for well over a year.
For firewall I use Zone Alarm personal edition, very easy to use and set up and has a good tutorial with it.
For antivirus you would be hard to beat Avast, a very good program with regular updates of the virus database to give up to date protection.
You can find both on click here

rawprawn 17:43 23 Nov 04

I concur with smudge101, both are really good and easy to control.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:10 23 Nov 04

Zone alarm and AVG but AVG7 causing some problems for somepeople so as above ZA and Avast

rainwarrior 20:13 23 Nov 04

well since i asked you peeps, running spybot s+d, sygate and nod32, according too nod i had an in memory virus wich cant be removed, so i pulled it off and put back on nortons corporate(tides me over till reinstall) i forgot too mention im running xp pro with sp2, and i know zone alarm has had loads of probs with the latest release(my m8 nearly smashed comp lol) so i suppose what i need is a good virusscanner/firewall/that blocks dam dialers and stuff like that(nortons aint doin it too well lets it on the comp then cant remove(defetes the object) ps.... i dont mind a pay prog as they are more fetured(not avg... too thick too set it up right lol)

rainwarrior 20:16 23 Nov 04

sorry peeps i forgot too mention im on AOL for the internet

CHAIRLEG 20:29 23 Nov 04

Hi rainwater.When you upgrade to aol bb you can download MacAfee firewall for free as part of aol you can also do online virus check.Look in keywords.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…