Help ! - adsl wired network setup

simplesoul 09:33 03 Dec 05

I am new to wired networks and have the following problem..
When I use the usb modem on a pc it appears to work fine however when I use my wired router and have 2 pc's running the speed drops dramatically - 10 seconds to load apage in explorer!

Both pc's download slower so it does not appear that one has higher priority.

Is this normal?

Onetel is the isp and both machines are xp based. The router is an etec pt 3812. Modem is speedtouch.

I also have an old pc that I could use as a gateway if need be.

Any suggestions as to what can be causing this or how I can create a better network.

johnnyrocker 11:23 03 Dec 05

click here click here should sort you

johnny.

Longhouse 11:45 03 Dec 05

Are you using the USB modem when you're using the router?

Looking at the spec of the router, it's a modem /router, should work without the USB modem connected. The USB port on the router is for connecting to a PC to form a network when there is no NIC present.

I have a similar set-up and all machines can connect without any noticable adverse effect on download speed.

simplesoul 17:35 03 Dec 05

The etec is a router/modem and I use that when trying to use the pc as part of a home network.

Longhouse 13:32 04 Dec 05

From a web search seems that this router has proved problematic for many people. The first link to check your set up - may be useful if the chipset is the same:

click here

The second link is to the Puretek manual for the modem:

click here

any help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…