Help to access a NAS remotely over IE

bucko1986 15:23 10 Jan 10

Hi guys,

New to this site so please bear with me!

My problem is as follows:

I recently purchased an Iomega Home Network 500GB Hardrive. This is plugged directly into my Netgear router which is running Sky Broadbands own firmware. I have two PCs, one laptop and a PS3 all hooked up, so I can access all files internally on my home network. I use my NAS drive so that I can also access my Itunes library on any PC.

I now want to be able to access my NAS over the internet from a location outside of my home network. I am having real problems with this.

Am I right in thinking that if I can just find the external ip address for my NAS drive then I can access it using IE? If this is the case then how do I find the external IP address???

I am a bit of a newbie when it comes to networking so please if possible could you provide detailed solutions. Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

Tech Guy 15:48 10 Jan 10

If you don't have a static IP address, you can sign you for Dynamic DNS check out: click here

Assign your NAS in the routers DMZ and you may have to alter your firewall setings, but can be done.

A word of warning about opening your NAS to the internet, it will be visible and you will get unwelcomed guests!

bucko1986 15:59 10 Jan 10

Hi. Thanks very much for the response.

I have set up a static ip address for my NAS drive but only internally - i.e. 192.168.0.15
Will I still need to sign up a Dynamic DNS?

When connecting to my NAS locally I need to enter a user name and password. Will this prevent other people from accessing my files? Obviously I want to be as secure as possible.

Thanks again

bucko1986 16:06 10 Jan 10

Sorry - also will this cost me money to set up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…