Help with 98se display

CHAIRLEG 23:06 20 Jan 06

I have this old Viglen comp and when I try to change the resolution the bar doesn't move.The resolution is set at 640 by 480 what I would like to know is the card is Standard PCI Graphics Adapter VGA and the Monitor is a Viglen 13.2 and is 9 years old,so to be able to increase the resolution would I need to get a newer Monitor and also get a different PCI Graphics adapter.The display is ok until Itry to view photos etc.

Totally-braindead 23:11 20 Jan 06

The Standard PCI graphics adaptor is what Win 98 installs when it doesn't know what the graphics card actually is and can't install the graphics card driver. What you have to do is find out what make and model the graphics card actually is and download and install the correct drivers. Try Belarc and see if it tells you what it is click here . If it doesn't you may need to open the PC up and see if you can find any info actaully on the card.

Skyver 23:11 20 Jan 06

Try checking the PC out with this click here
Powerstrip will give you more info on the graphics hardware click here

CHAIRLEG 23:19 20 Jan 06

Belarc just shows standard PCI graphics so I will have a look inside and get back to you

woodchip 23:20 20 Jan 06

The Graphics Drivers need loading

Totally-braindead 23:29 20 Jan 06

If you can't find any info on the card and therefore can't identify and don't have the disk then what you will have to do is get a new PCI graphics card something like this click here to be honest if the PC is that old any of these cards would be an improvement although the computer probably wouldn't be fast enough to take advantage of this, so if its an old PC then I'd buy the cheapest card going for it, just make sure whatever you buy has Windows 98 drivers and that you PC meets the minimum specs for the card you choose.

CHAIRLEG 00:29 21 Jan 06

The card is Creative Tech CT6890 I have located a driver for it on Driver Guide and will try it but I would like a better card
click here would this one be ok 266mhz 128ram very cheap.

Totally-braindead 09:08 21 Jan 06

Thats the one I was looking at, the only thing I couldn't find out was what speed the processor needed to be, I couldn't find anything on the Sapphire website about minimum specs. I'm pretty sure it would be ok but would confirm with either Sapphire or Dabs before purchase, unless of course someone on the Forum knows it'll be ok.
To be honest if the card you have works I'd just keep it and forget the upgrade, the PCs not fast enough to get much out of it.

CHAIRLEG 15:57 21 Jan 06

I have loaded the driver and now I can change the display ok so the problem is fixed and the photos etc seem fine so will probably leave things as they are.Thanks to to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now