HELP

peterfry 15:06 01 Jun 03

how do i make a login thing for my website like this place without spending hundreds of pounds

Piggy,Piggy 15:08 01 Jun 03

I don't know, why don't you e-mail the System Moderator Thingy or PCA staff

Forum Editor 16:00 01 Jun 03

There are thousands of downloadable password applets available - many of them free - but be warned that most of them are ridiculously easy to circumvent. If you want to protect sensitive or confidential web content you must use something a little more robust.

There's a neat little utility called CoffeCup Password wizard
click here but it isn't free. Take a look at it, you can configure it as either a Java or a Flash file, and it works pretty well.

If you really want some bullet-proof protection you'll need to use something with the password entry that will only work if the visitor is coming from a specific url on your site. This means that when the visitor enters a valid login he/she is taken to a redirect page, and the script will only allow them into the site from this location, no matter how hard they try to do otherwise.

All login procedures can be broken if someone is determined enough, and people like me spend a good deal of time devising ways to keep unauthorised visitors out of protected areas. I have successfully used the Windows NT workgroup login procedure to create secure areas on websites in the past, but this method requires a good deal of back-end maintenance to work well. Once set up it does work very well, especially with a few tweaks thrown in - but I'm keeping those to myself.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…