Help !

woodm01 20:04 13 Apr 08

I am thinking of upgrading my pc, and need help with the following :

1. Will the Artic Cooler Freezer 7 heatsink work with the Intel Quad Core Q6600 processor, also will this heatsink fit on the Gigabyte GA X38-DS4 motherboard ?

2. With this type of processor, would it be compatible with Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition ?

3. Am I better off buying the 64-bit edition of Vista Ultimate or should I stick with the 32-bit edition as I have heard Games etc. have problems with the 64-bit edition.

Any advice would be appreciated.

razzledazzle 20:27 13 Apr 08

have you tried the vista upgrade advisor?

Totally-braindead 21:09 13 Apr 08

Firstly could you next time use a better title. Something like upgrade advice or whatever but help isn't very useful.

The Q6600 is socket 775 so the Artic unit would fit it though how good it is I don't know, I presume its considerably better than the original Intel supplied job.

Will this processor be compatible with 64 bit windows - yes it will.

As for the 64 bit or 32 bit issue I don't know the answer, I do know that the 64 bit version of windows insists that drivers are Microsoft certified and if they are not they will not install. Meaning that if you have something that does not have a 64 bit certified driver it will not work.

mrwoowoo 21:28 13 Apr 08

The performance gains promised by 64-bit will not be seen for years until 64-bit compiled versions of software is the norm.
I would go for 32 bit vista unless you really need to use more than 3gb of ram.
Totally-braindead is correct about the driver issues as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…