prdcb1 09:17 20 Jun 06

I have recently connected a Netgear dg834g to my dell laptop. It works fine until I disconnect the network cable then i lose the internet. I have contacted AOL and Dell who seem unable to help. on the windows xp toolbar on the wireless network icon limited or no connectivity does this mean anything?

mgmcc 11:52 20 Jun 06

The "Limited or No Connectivity" indication means that the network adapter has been unable to get an IP address from the router and has been allocated a default one in the 169.254.x.x range by Windows. This will not let you get online.

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

prdcb1 20:38 20 Jun 06

I don't know as the adapter was installed at the Dell factory if it helps the adapter is an Intel pro wlan 3945 internal wireless

mgmcc 20:52 20 Jun 06

What ever type of wireless adapter you have, either it has its own software to scan for Available Wireless Networks or you use Windows' built-in wireless networking software.

Whichever software you use, you must "Connect" to the wireless network and this will include entering any WEP or WPA encryption key that has been set up.

ade.h 21:05 20 Jun 06

Provided that the adapter is switched on (via a button on the keyboard or facia) you must double-click on the WLAN icon in the Notification Area (old name: System Tray) and refresh the list of avialable networks from the left pane of the window that has appeared. Select yours - being careful not to select any others instead (illegal) - and click Connect. Enter your WPA-PSK twice if you were wise enough to have enabled that feature, which is best done by pasting your key from a text file to avoid errors. Your client firewall should at this point prompt you for a response (or possibly create a rule of its own accord, in which case, check it carefully afterwards).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…