help

Neil-220364 12:26 28 Mar 06

i recently lost my subscription to norton as it was out of date . i downloaded avg 7.1 free but it kept turning off its virus protection and wouldnt let me update it. ive purchased mcafee 8.0 it worked for the first day but now it seems to be doing the same thing. my computer is taking around 5 mins to sart up and keeps freezing when i try to activate the virus protection. im totally stumped here. can anybody help me ive cleaned my registry tuned up my p.c bout 10 times in the last 24hrs. also if i log on to my recovery consol it just says 'a disk read error has occured, press cntrl alt delete to restart' when it does im left with the same issues . pleasew please please help me

johnnyrocker 12:52 28 Mar 06

try an online scan at symantec or download and run stinger via a google search. always a possiblity to do system restore?

johnny.

johnnyrocker 12:53 28 Mar 06

you dont say whethet you have removed norton or not which could be another cause?

johnny.

DieSse 12:53 28 Mar 06

Norton to McAfee - the phrase "out of the frying pan into the fire" springs to mind.

For a good free AV try Avast click here

For the best (paid) AV look at NOD32 click here

You may need to spend a bit of time getting rid of the remnants of Norton and McAfee. But it's well worth the time doing so.

Neil-220364 12:59 28 Mar 06

yeah ive removed norton and avg but there still seems to be a problem wiv mcafee. ive also just ran stinger and it came up clean. my pc has just had some upgrades done to it ive doubled the ram and introduced a 256 graphics card. it should run fast but its like stirring a bucket o bolts with a stick at the mo

Neil-220364 14:31 28 Mar 06

cheers DieSse im now fully protected wiv a 14 month subscription. got rid of all traces of norton, avg, and mcafee i hope. and it should now be running fast as the road runner bolting from wyl-e-kyote. cheers once again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…