Help!

Anniemol 17:24 22 Dec 03

I came back from a weekend away and turned my PC on this morning and it wouldn't boot up. After repeated attempts, nothing.... Tried a boot disk....tried my Anti virus boot disk too....it didn't want to know!
I finally went into 'set up' and selected the 'default' settings.....boot up started.....
The only problem? I have two hard drives on my PC... a partitioned drive (in two) 'C' & 'D' and the second drive 'G'....when my PC starts up it now has an extra 'H' drive and an error message comes up to say that both 'G' and 'H' are non XP Drives.....
The PC continues to start up (very slowly!), once loaded up it doesn't recognise drive G at all and still has the additional H drive shown. My PC works....very slooooowly! but there is obviously a big problem....can anyone please advise what I can do to get it back to it's original state...or will I need to re format the whole system?? I'm running XP Pro....
(I have done a total virus check and nothing shows up)

Where did you go?

billyliv 18:15 22 Dec 03

Hi, Obvious answer is 'System Restore'. Have you tried it?. Cheers, Bill

Anniemol 18:17 22 Dec 03

Yep, tried System Restore...no good!

critic-al 18:17 22 Dec 03

Have you tried sfc /scannow ?

Anniemol 18:32 22 Dec 03

No Critic-al.....I'm not that technical minded so please would you tell me what I need to do?

hugh-265156 18:36 22 Dec 03

any errors listed in control panel/performance and maintenance/administrative tools/event viewer?

also check the status of the drives in administrative tools/computer management/disk management

Anniemol 19:30 22 Dec 03

The event viewer doesn't really show anything major....
The disk manager does show that the second drive has been partitioned into G and H (the drive is 38 GB's and it has partitioned it....G=7.81GB H=17.63GB and 12.83 is Unallocated) when I click on either G or H drive an error dialog box appears telling me 'The file or Directory is corrupted and unreadable'
I think it's basically the problem with this drive that is slowing everything down....I did have programs, music, photo's etc stored on the G drive but I can't access it.......am I best to format it?

hugh-265156 20:40 22 Dec 03

have you run a disk check on both the drives?

in computer management right click the drive then/properties/tools/error checking

tick both boxes and restart the computer.

billyliv 11:06 23 Dec 03

Hi, A bit tongue in cheek this response. Have you checked your window locks in case someone has been in while you were away and swapped your hard drives. Cheers, Bill. PS. Hope you get it sorted out. Its rather intriguing. Merry Christmas

Anniemol 19:43 29 Dec 03

No problem with my hard drives being swapped billyliv.....
huggyg71.....I've tried checking the G & H drives and I can't get any 'access' to them..... the last time I tried I had an error message that said.... 'The Parameter is incorrect' does this make sense to anyone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…