littleian 23:16 14 Aug 03

Can someone help, my friend has windows xp and has only a limited account on it and wants to change it to a administrator account.

Jester2K II 23:20 14 Aug 03

Need to log into an Administrator Account and then Control Panel, Users. Can change the account type there.

if there isn't an Admin account on the log in screen booting to Safe Mode will allow use of the Administrator Account.

Jean-Luc Picard 23:22 14 Aug 03

Control panel>User Accounts>Change an Accounts, click on account you want to change then sellect change account type.

Jean-Luc Picard 23:24 14 Aug 03

Beat me to the punch!

Jester2K II 23:27 14 Aug 03

Getting you back for click here

Jean-Luc Picard 23:30 14 Aug 03

See you at High-Noon for the decider.

littleian 23:37 14 Aug 03

Thanks He has no administrator account so will try the safe mode method.Littleian

helmetshine 03:23 15 Aug 03

Just a thought.....does anyone know if littleian's friend actually OWNS the computer he wants an administrator account on? or is it someone else',brothers etc.Not having a go...but does seem strange that if he does own it he's only got a limited account.Bit late for thinking about that now i know,but...i just thought that maybe,if he's not the owner, the real owner didn't want him to have an administrator account and possibly he shouldn't have been helped until that was known

Jester2K II 07:49 15 Aug 03

I did think that too but how are you going to check?

I used to ask lots of questions like that but in the end you don't know the real reason and anyone of the thousands of people here could have told him / her.

If it as anothers PC then more fool them for not setting a password on the Admin account. If they have then he still will not be able to change the settings so no harm done.

helmetshine 11:33 15 Aug 03

As i said...i wasn't having a go at anyone,just saying that, maybe, sometimes help shouldn't automatically be given where someone is asking how to increase their access to a pc that may not be theirs and may be more than they should have.The last thing i'd want to do is to stop people giving advice,especially as i have been helped myself here and,quite probably,will need help in the future,But i just wonder what the response would be if (hypothetical situation) littleian's friend's dad posted on here complaining that his son was given information which enabled him to upgrade his account against his wishes and he now has problems with his pc because of what later actions his son took,and,with all due respect Smiffy99,i don't think telling him he should have passworded the admin account would help much.I actually wonder how many people DO password the admin account...i reckon the majority don't
So,in closing,the only point i was making was that it's possible that in some situations advice shouldn't just be given without knowing more about the circumstances
If anyone's upset about what i've said i'll apologise in advance because that isn't whats intended

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…