hello newbie here!

mothercranky 09:25 20 Jun 06

phew... am so glad i found you guys have loads of questions

i bought an acer travelmate laptop in Feb and absoloutley love it. my broadband connection is virgin, but they are charging me 24.99 a monh and i only have a 1mbps connection. i have been told that my line can only accept this and it cannot be upgraded. can this be right? should i be paying this much? i have seen other offers that seem so much better but dont really understand what the catches could be!

i use firefox browser (as recommended by my 15 yr old) which i like too, is there a shortcut you can set up anywhere where you can press one key to insert your email adress anywhere? or maybe something like the 'autofill' on internet explorer?

i have also noticed that my hotmail account does not allow me to use the "add photos" option now i use firefox. why does that happen? is there a way around it?

ooh i am looking forward to expanding my technical mind!!!!!

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:44 20 Jun 06

You need to speak to customer services as the connection that you are paying for is 8Mb unlimited. You will probably only need the 1Mb connection with a 3Gb download limit at £14.99. However there is no minimum contract with Virgin so I would look at Tiscali at £12.99 or ask your neighbours what they think of their providers. just because someone recommends a provider does not mean that they will work well at your line.

The speed of connection depends on the distance from your exchange and many other factors so 1Mb may be all you can get. I live in a small village that has an 8Mb connection 5 miles away on a large, new estate they can only get 512K....mind you I live behind Princess Anne's gaff and I'm sure this has nothing to do with the speed of the connection;-))

You can use leaving Virgin as a lever to get them to reduce your monthly cost.

Someone will answer your Firefox questions as I use Internet Explorer with Avant additions and cannot be bothered with Firefox as it is dull.

G

mattyc_92 11:04 20 Jun 06

FireFox has it's own "Password Manager".
To use this, simply type in your logon details to a website and you should recieve a "Do you wish to save this password" box

As for the Hotmail thing, FireFox is configured differently to IE, so you will have to use IE for things like Windows Updates and Hotmail. The "ActiveX" componants will only work for IE, thus problems in FireFox...

Hope that helps :-)

mothercranky 13:02 20 Jun 06

what is the active x thingy?

mattyc_92 14:09 20 Jun 06

ActiveX Components are like "mini-software" installs for things like Macromedia Flash, which allows the Web Browser to intergrade the tool in question

mothercranky 19:10 20 Jun 06

ah... i think i may of disabled that somewhere you know thinking it was a virus....i got ripped off recently, thinking i was buying anti virus software when it really put loads on and charged me for the privelige!! it was called "winfixer" and it really screwed things up. i thought the active x thing was part of that and have blocked it.
by the way i have never managed to completely wipe the winfix crap off, it still comes up

brundle 10:25 21 Jun 06

give your pc a scan with ewido - untick all the options during install - background scanning, resident monitor etc
click here

DrScott 01:01 22 Jun 06

Juat a word of advice for future: you very rarely need to buy any security software as there are many applications around for free that will do the job you wish, e.g antivirus, reg cleaners etc.

If you are ever tempted to buy such software, then I would reccommend you ask on this forum first, and go with companies with good reputations. Any popup telling me I need such and such always, without fail, gets ignored!

mothercranky 09:39 22 Jun 06

thanks everyone for being bothered to help me out!!
i ran ewido and it came up with loads!

crazycraig 15:05 22 Jun 06

My dear sir, Your broadband connection is indeed 8meg but your telephone exchange may be limited to 1meg like mine :-(.

THE ONLY THING TO DO IS CALL BT AND COMPLAIN!!

YAAR!!!!

terryf 22:47 22 Jun 06

For the future, you will often get more help if you put a title to the thread that better describes your problem, sometimes general titles like, for instance, 'help me' get ignored. If you had put broadband and firefox problems it would have helped to sort the wheat from the chaff (as my old mum used to say)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…