//some 3rd party need geo

HEEEEEEEEELP

kevvyb 18:53 29 Nov 04

Having used Asus Update tool to flash my BIOS from within windows everything seemed fine.

I'm in a bit of a panic but I think the updater then indicated that I would need to restart.

On restart the PCI memory controller was redetected. At least at this point I was still in windows. Why the hell did I reboot without ensuring I had a memory controller showing okay in device manager!! Don't answer that.

NVidia memory controller could not be found by the wizard obviously (it could not find the default XP drivers...??) and what I should obviously have done is tried reinstalling the NVidia mobo drivers from the download that I had whilst I was still in Windows.

Instead of thinking about this a bit I restarted!!! Whoops.

I am now locked out and cannot even boot. No boot screen at all. Just a blank screen with the hard drive indicator light stuck on and no post.

What the hell can I do now??

I had changed boot order for the bios flash to Floppy, HDD, CDROM although in the end I did this with the updater from within windows.

mark2 19:01 29 Nov 04

I think you can access the original bios file on the ASUS driver disc, see click here dependant on your mobo of course

Dorsai 19:02 29 Nov 04

Never used this company, so cant give +ve or -ve feedback.

click here

for a new bios chip.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:30 29 Nov 04

Try clearing BIOS with the jumper on the motherboard or remove CMOS battery for 10 minutes then try to reboot.

If you get a post then press del to get into BIOS and reset boot order to CDrom HDD floppy.

Forum Editor 19:40 29 Nov 04

try using a more informative thread title. You'll get a far faster/better response - many regular forum members are (understandably) irritated by these dramatic, uninformative titles, and are reluctant to help.

Meshuga 19:51 29 Nov 04

You took the words out of my mouth.

SEASHANTY 20:00 29 Nov 04

ditto

User-312386 20:07 29 Nov 04

are you saying that you can not get into windows at all?

You say that you "flash my BIOS from within windows", then you say "I had changed boot order for the bios flash to Floppy"

If you have allready flashed within windows, why are trying to flash from floppy?

Take the floppy disc out and start wondows.

Don't try and reflash a partially flashed BIOS or you could have no BIOS and no MOBO

kevvyb 22:32 30 Nov 04

madboy33 thanks but no, I actually said "I had changed boot order for the bios flash to Floppy, HDD, CDROM although in the end I did this with the updater from within windows".

I was going to use floppy and had changed the boot order for that purpose but then used the updater from within windows. Merely mentioned it in case anyone thought that this might be part of the problem.

The actual cause was apparently a known issue with NVidia motherboards whereby the flash program cannot clear the CMOS properly and this has to be done manually before booting back into windows. Boy was I relieved! BIO not fried as I had thought. I am told that NVidia has yet to get to the bottom of what is causing this.

Thanks to all for your help.

kevvyb 22:34 30 Nov 04

Forum Ed (and everyone else) apologies for the title. Agreed not very helpful. I was in a bit of a panic....but then that doesn't really help with much either.

Thanks for repsonses anyway.

kevvyb 22:35 30 Nov 04

Forum Ed (and everyone else) apologies for the title. Agreed not very helpful. I was in a bit of a panic....but then that doesn't really help with much either.

Thanks for responses anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…